Tisdale announces signing of inaugural lacrosse group

Coach Sara Tisdale has completed the assembly of the inaugural Central Michigan University women’s lacrosse team.

The first-ever squad is comprised of 26 members and features soon-to-be student athletes from 13 different states, Tisdale said.

Tisdale has spent the last 21 days traveling the country to select her unit, which is scheduled to begin the program’s first season in spring of 2016.

“I was very pleased with the response we’ve gotten,” Tisdale said. “Our name is out there. The group we have has formed a great chemistry already.”

Through campus visits and frequent communication, the group has bettered their chances at seamless cohesion by the time they take the practice field.

“My expectations were exceeded in terms of talent,” Tisdale said. “We’ve been taking all the time we can to get as much “recruiting” done as we can.”

The Chippewas will compete in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Tisdale said knowing your competition is an advantage to maintain successful recruiting efforts.

“Telling potential student athletes that they might have to go to Florida once or twice a year is not a bad thing,” Tisdale said days after her hiring in July. “It’s going to be a challenge for us, but it is a growing conference so we have a chance to be successful right away. It will also allow us to attract students from across the nation.”

CMU is the third university in the state to offer women’s lacrosse. Michigan and Detroit Mercy are the others.