LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Helping at HATS benefits students, animals in the long run

To the Editor,

Volunteering is a fundamental part of education that many students neglect; it develops character, empathy and other admirable qualities. It is important that students get involved, and one of the best places to do that is an animal shelter. Recently, I visited the Humane Animal Treatment Society of Isabella County and realized there is more of a demand for volunteers than I had expected. 

One encounter in particular made this very clear to me. While petting a shelter dog named Missy, I noticed that her tail wasn't wagging. However, what was stranger was that after I stopped petting her she froze completely still like she was waiting for something but not quite knowing what. After a few seconds I began to pet her again, and she became incredibly excited, wagging her tail like crazy. What this made me realize is that she wasn't used to people giving her more attention after an initial encounter. Sure, the animals get a short daily walk, food and a warm shelter, but they are missing out on what animals need most: love.

The Humane Society of the United States estimates that six to eight million cats and dogs enter shelters each year. Even though most shelter workers try to give every animal the attention they deserve, there are just too many animals to care for with how few hours there are in a day. The result is a large number of animals that don't get enough time devoted to them exclusively, but this could change. 

As college students it is often not an option to bring along our beloved pets, and volunteering is a terrific way to play with your furry friends while also doing something that makes you feel good about yourself. Volunteering also looks very good on resumes, and what better way is there to rack up the volunteer hours than playing with adorable animals? Whatever reason appeals to you doesn't matter; what matters is that these animals get the love they desperately need and in most cases have never received before. 

To schedule an appointment to volunteer at Humane Animal Treatment Society of Isabella County, call (989) 775-0830. This is the shelter closest to campus located at 1105 S. Isabella Road, Mount Pleasant MI, 48858.

BRANDON BUCKLEY,

Mount Pleasant