Bradford breaks shooting slump with 31-point performance against struggling Kent State

mainwbball
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Senior guard Crystal Bradford leaps above defenders for a shot on the basket Saturday at McGuirk Arena. Bradford led the team in rebounds and steals, but the Chippewas came up short against Akron, losing, 74-72.

Until Wednesday night, scoring points was tough for Crystal Bradford.

The reigning Mid-American Conference Player of the Year had been dominating the game in every phase except for one: Shooting the ball.

Bradford, a senior, came into Wednesday’s women’s basketball game averaging 18.2 points per game, but had shot 33 percent from the field during the Chippewas’ previous five games. Bradford had missed more than 10 shots in four of those five contests when the Chippewas were 3-2.

“Sometimes good players just get into slumps,” Bradford said. “I’m in the gym getting shots up. I’m not letting it bother me. I’m not going to stop shooting.”

Bradford was especially bad during the Chippewas last two games before Wednesday. In CMU’s two losses to Akron and Ohio, Bradford was 7-for-39 from the field and totaled 21 points.

Then the Golden Flashes came to McGuirk, and Bradford went off.

In the women’s 65-63 win over Kent State, Bradford scored 31 points, and shot 58 percent from the field.

“Crystal really finally started attacking the basket, and using the backboard,” coach Sue Guevara said. “She was 7-for-39 the last two games with the exact same shots. Today (shots) fell for her. Her shot selection was better.”

Bradford’s struggles from the perimeter remain a concern, however. The star guard is just 6-of-34 (17 percent) from beyond the arc during CMU’s last five matchups.

“My 3-ball isn’t doing well,” Bradford said. “I need to work on that. My 3-ball is stinking up the gym. I’m going to keep shooting. I’m not going to stop shooting at all.”

Bradford’s confidence never waned, she said.

“Even after a game where I go 5-for-23, my confidence hasn’t went anywhere,” she said. “I just know sometimes (shots) just don’t fall. Sometimes you have bad shooting games.”

Guevara said shot selection remains the key to Bradford’s success.

“She understands she has to make better decisions,” Guevara said. “The key is not shooting contested shots.”

The All-MAC performer has made up for her shooting struggles during the past week by affecting CMU’s game in other ways.

Bradford has averaged 9.4 rebounds, four assists and 3.2 steals per game during her shooting slump, all of which are team-highs.

Guevara believes Bradford’s ability to get her teammates involved will also aid her overall offensive game.

“CB can score,” she said. “There’s no doubt about it. The more that she can see the people that are open and deliver them the ball, then I think you’re going to see her game blossom a little bit more.”