SGA seeks $327,000 from university for campus programing fund

Student Government Association President Chuck Mahone announced Wednesday, Feb. 18, that Central Michigan University's Budget Priorities Committee will consider a $327,000 increase in the Campus Programing Fund.

The announcement was made at the Board of Trustees' Student Liaison Committee meeting on the third floor of the Bovee University Center. 

The CPF would go towards assisting extracurricular activities, such as the Leadership Institute and the Volunteer Center, along with RSO sponsored events.

“(SGA) asked for more funding and the Budget Priorities Committee gave a recommendation that they are going to give to the president and his cabinet,” Mahone said. “At that time they will review everything and see how to go about giving back to (the fund).” 

Along with an update on the Campus Programming Fund, Mahone spoke of a push within the Residence Halls to make dorm closing times 10 p.m. instead of midnight.

The Towers Residence Halls are the only on-campus residences that close side doors at the earlier time, forcing residents to check in using the main entrance. This change could help to “increase safety” on campus, Mahone said.

“If you’re going to be in (a residence hall) past (10 p.m.) you probably should live there or at least be with someone who lives there,” he said.

This time change has yet to be enacted, but is currently under review through the Residence Hall Association.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →