Two women banned from Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe

Tribal Council votes unanimously to exclude drug traffickers

audrey_shipman

Audrey Shipman

The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal Council unanimously voted Thursday to permanently banish two women who were caught trafficking drugs by the Mount Pleasant Police Department last week.

Tribal Chief Steve Pego said in a press release the action is a reflection of the Tribe's commitment to its war on drugs.

"Today our people have shown that we are no longer going to tolerate people who peddle unhealthy and life-destroying substances on this reservation," Pego said. "Today, we took necessary steps to protect and uphold our members and their families against this plague called addiction."

The two women, 33-year-old Kristy Posthumus and 31-year-old Audrey Shipman, were found to be transporting 13 bindles of heroin and 12 bindles of another unidentified drug after a traffic stop Feb. 17. 

Posthumus was arrested on three counts of possession with intent to deliver heroin, driving with a suspended license and operating a vehicle without insurance. Shipman was arrested on three counts of carrying a concealed weapon and one count of possession of a dangerous weapon.

The Tribe has been taking a stronger and more proactive stance against substance abuse. In September of 2014, Chief Pego signed a birch bark document declaring war on drugs, which had not been done in the Tribe since 1763. Pego said one of the factors leading to the deceleration was a rise in heroin abuse.

Tribal Police Captain Jim Cates said the Tribe is a community which has no place for drugs.

"The choice to exclude these individuals before conviction is our way of sending the message that this will not be tolerated in our community," Cates said.

Under Ordinance No. 3 of the Tribal Code, the Council can choose to exclude individuals from their territories.

Despite the Tribal Council's ruling, Posthumus is still protected by law and cannot be charged in the Isabella County Court for her offenses. However, MPPD has referred her case to a federal prosecutor, who will decide whether to file charges against her in Federal Court.