"Celebrating Life" for 26 years

dsc_0459

Young dancers finish performing March 21 during the 26th Annual Celebrating Life Pow Wow in McGuirk Arena. 

Drum beats symbolized the dancers heartbeats as the rhythm called them into the arena into McGuirk Arena at the 26th annual Celebrating Life Pow Wow. 

Students, faculty, the Mount Pleasant community and other tribes across the nation were invited to McGuirk Arena on Saturday and Sunday for a taste of valued Native American traditions. Pow wows have social and spiritual significance to the Native American people as times of gathering and celebrating the new beginning of spring.

The "Celebrating Life" Pow Wow was put on by Central Michigan University's Pow Wow Committee, a student organization providing social, cultural and educational events. They were sponsored by the North American Indigenous Association, and American Indian Science and Engineering Society, Office of Native American Programs, Office for Institutional Diversity, CMU, and the Offices of the President and Provost. The College of Communication and Fine Arts, College of Humanities and Social Behavioral Sciences, College of Education and Human Services and the Saginaw Indian Tribe also endorsed contributions to the event.

Attendee Damian Badboy, from the White Earth Nation in Minnesota, was at the Pow wow to record the drum group "Charging Horse." He has been to and danced in many Pow wows before, and said they are valued for how they bring people together.

"The Pow wow is such a great celebration to meet new friends and see your old ones," Badboy said. "It's great because we get to dance, we get to sing (and) have fun."

Spectators stood as the head veteran, flag bearers and dancers dressed in traditional Native American regalia circled the arena during the opening Grand Entry ceremony. Afterward came a welcome address, tiny tot dance special and several dance and drum contests.

The event continued into Sunday with contests in dancing and drumming and winner announcements. Cash prizes for first place winners included $3,000 for the group drum contest, $400 for the adult dance contest and $500 for the hand drum contest. 

Dancer Viola Recollect has competed in Pow wows since she was six years old. She is now a grandmother of five, and said the feeling she gets on the dance floor is hard to explain.

"It feels like something is missing until you go to the next Pow wow," Recollect said. "I love it because it brings me more peace with who I am."

Several dance and drum contests took place throughout the day, splitting participants into age groups of youth, adults and elders. Contests were in traditional dance, grass dance, jingle dress dance and fancy dance—all of which had different regalia and unique origins.

"The Pow wow is very important to us as Anishinaabe because you feel good about who you are," Recollect said. "We are connecting with each other."

About 20 vendors were set up near the arena selling handmade goods ranging from bead-work, pouches and jewelry to jam, maple syrup and candles. 

Saline junior Randi Bennett volunteered to help organize and set up the Pow wow because of her great uncle, who passed on his interest in Native American Culture. She is also part of the Honors Program at CMU, and used the opportunity to gain service hours.

"I think it's interesting to be able to get a piece of culture you're not used to seeing everyday," Bennett said. "It was really incredible, especially during the victory songs and the flag songs."