CMPUD respond to increased marijuana complaints

imgres

Central Michigan University Police Department responded to 21 marijuana complaints in spring 2014, 24 complaints during fall 2014 and 18 complaints this semester.

CMUPD Lt. Cameron Wassman said this may point to a slight increase in offenses. According to the most current Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, CMPUD officers arrested 43 people for controlled substances on campus, 54 overall.

Associate Director of Residence Life Michelle Veith said if students are found to be using or possessing marijuana, the incident is documented by hall staff who first contact the Residence Hall Director as well as CMU police, and refer the student to the Office of Student Conduct. Twenty students were arrested for controlled substances in residence halls in 2013.

The Office of Student Conduct reported 86 cases of controlled substance drug violations during the 2013-14 academic year, compared to 92 cases the previous year.

"Whether it's marijuana residue or a gram, it is still a violation," Veith said. "Typically a first-time sanction is a fine of $300 and the student will be put on disciplinary probation, as well as having to complete an online course about drugs like Marijuana 101."

Residents sign an agreement not to possess, use, manufacture, produce or distribute any controlled substances.

Section 4.4.7CMU's code of student conduct states separate penalties for students who are distributing marijuana. Dealing marijuana out of the residence halls is referred to as a "grave offense" and carries a harsher penalty.

CMPUD Cpt. Fred Harris said students need to consider the legal repercussions of using marijuana on campus.

"It's not just the school that cracks down on you," Harris said. "You can be cited by police."

Possession of marijuana carries a 93-day-misdemeanor with fines between $200-500.

Although Mount Pleasant Police Department Public Information Officer Jeff Browne said that he has encountered many people who are confused about the city's new ordinance, ignorance of the law is not an excuse. On Nov. 4, 2014, 62.3 percent of Mount Pleasant residents voted in favor decriminalizing the possession and use of less than one ounce of marijuana for adults above the age of 21 in their private home.

"Some people don't understand what the new ordinance allows for," Browne said. "It doesn't mean marijuana is legal in Mount Pleasant for anyone over 21. It only states that the city will not have an ordinance preventing people 21 and over from using or possessing up to an ounce of marijuana on their own private property."