Baseball loses first conference series since April 2014

main_baseballl
Catcher Tyler Huntey runs the bases during the game against Bowling Green April 26 at Theunissen Stadium.

After winning eight consecutive Mid-American Conference series, Central Michigan University baseball lost two of three games to Bowling Green State University at home this weekend.

The Chippewas still maintain the best record in the MAC at 13-5 (28-15 overall) with nine games remaining on the schedule.

The last time CMU lost a weekend series was April 25-27, 2014 when the Chippewas were swept by Ball State University at home.

Sunday

Bowling Green scored one run in the first, second, third, fifth innings and seventh innings, beating CMU 5-1.

“It’s probably the best (BGSU) has played, but it doesn’t matter,” said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. “That’s the task you’re given when you’re in the position that you’re at, people are going to play a certain way against you.”

Junior pitcher Adam Aldred (3-2, 3.25 ERA) lasted 3 2/3 innings giving up three earned runs. BGSU outhit CMU 16-3.

Freshman outfielder Daniel Jipping hit a ball deep to left field, but BGSU’s Matt Smith’s leaping grab over the wall sent Jipping back to the dugout.

Junior designated hitter hit a pinch-hit double in the eighth inning, CMU’s only extra-base hit of the day, but couldn’t spark a rally.

Saturday

Timely hitting and strong starting pitching helped CMU take game two in the series 3-1 over BGSU.

Senior pitcher Tim Black recorded his 10th save of the season and the 19th of his career, breaking the program record.

“It means a lot,” Black said. “There have been a lot of great pitchers that have come through here, it’s exciting. I just go out there and do my thing and it works out for me.”

Junior pitcher Sean Renzi (3-1, 2.04 ERA) started on the mound for CMU, throwing eight innings, giving up one earned runs on six hits and struck out six batters.

“I just tried to go out there and really attack the zone and make them put the ball in play,” Renzi said. “At first I started throwing a lot of fastballs, but around the third inning I started to mix in the off-speed pitches and I was able to locate them.”

Senior second baseman Pat MacKenzie led CMU with two runs scored to go along with his first career home run.

Friday

CMU dropped the series opener against BGSU 7-2 Friday afternoon at Theunissen Stadium.

Jaksa said he was not satisfied with his team’s performance Friday.

“It was just very disappointing,” said Jaksa. “We didn't seem to have the kind of intensity that we’ve been bringing to the game. I don't have a clear understanding as to why that would be today.”

BGSU set the tone early with a solo home run on the second pitch of the game. The Chippewas remained cold for the majority of the game, finishing the day with five hits.

Sophomore pitcher Nick Deeg (6-3, 3.08 ERA) started for CMU and struggled with his control for the second consecutive start. He pitched 4 2/3 innings giving up three earned runs on seven hits with five walks.

“He’s going to be ok,” Jaksa said. “There was not a reason to leave him out there in that situation. His ball was getting up a little bit. I have a lot of confidence in Nick, he will bounce back. I thought he was better than he was last Friday.”

CMU didn’t pick up its first hit until sixth inning, when junior first baseman Zack Fields singled.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →