Three things to watch for in Saturday’s spring football game

main_foot
Monica Bradburn | Staff Photographer Football players run drills during their practice April 9 in the Indoor Activity Center.

Though the final score will not matter, the Central Michigan University football team is taking its 2015 spring game seriously. 

Saturday may not be a measurement of how strong the team will be for the fall, but it will give a glimpse into who will be leading the team during the 2015 campaign.

Ohio State University’s spring football game drew 99,391 fans Saturday following their National Championship looking to get a peek at their team and see which players are going to take lead roles for the fall, particularly at their crowded quarterback position.

Here are three things to watch for in CMU’s spring football game, which is at 1 p.m. at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

1. Which runningback will stand out?

For the first time in three years, there is no quarterback competition heading into the 2015 season. Junior quarterback Cooper Rush will be the one.

The running back situation is a different story.

While multiple running backs will likely get carries, Saturday may reveal which back will be most likely to earn the brunt of the carries to replace Thomas Rawls.

Senior Saylor Lavallii is the bruiser of the group. He had the second-most carries last season with 84 attempts. The Mason native ran for 298 yards and four touchdowns.

Sophomore Devon Spalding may be the biggest competition to Lavallii, after running for 371 yards and four touchdowns in 2014. His speed was on display, as his 51-yard touchdown against Miami (Ohio) was the longest running play of the year for CMU.

Junior running back Martez Walker also made a case for himself with strong games against the University of Kansas and Western Kentucky University in the bowl game.

There are nine running backs on CMU’s roster, including two freshmen that may also see time Saturday.

2. Will Rush be the clear leader?

There’s little doubt that Rush will be the starting quarterback after starting all 13 games last season, including his seven touchdown, 493-yard performance in The Bahamas Bowl.

The last two seasons, his mistakes could be covered up with excuses. Like being an underclassmen or not getting all the reps during spring practice.

But now he’s expected to be great. The leader of the offense.

To make Chippewa fans feel secure about the fall, Rush needs to clearly outperform junior quarterback Ryan Lamb and redshirt freshman quarterback Zach Oakley.

3. What will Bonamego’s team look like?

Saturday will be Head Coach John Bonamego’s first test on the field. His success won’t be measured in the score, but how smoothly everything else goes.

Can the team be disciplined and limit penalties? How will the new offense and defense look? Is there any chance Bonamego keeps the visor tradition alive?

Saturday’s game won’t reveal everything about the new-look Chippewas, but it will be the first glimpse fans will get of the next era of CMU football.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →