Student code of conduct violations could be most since 2012

university

In the 2013-14 academic year, the number of students violating the Student Code of Conduct increased from the previous year by 20 percent. 

This year, 302 cases were resolved in the fall, with another 215 in progress at the beginning of the spring semester.

Although official numbers will not be available until the end of the semester, Central Michigan University students could be on track to hit 700 violations for the first time since 2011-12.

"Most students I meet with are not bad people at all," said Director of the Office of Student Conduct Tom Idema. "They just make poor decisions and sometimes that decision is influenced by alcohol or a drug or maybe just pressure of the moment."

Historically, violations of alcohol and controlled substances policies are most common. In the 2013-14 academic year, violations of the alcohol policy increased from 356 to 398, while the number of students convicted of breaking the controlled substances policy decreased from 92 to 86.

The Office of Student Conduct began keeping track of sexual assaults in its own category last year. Previously, sexual assaults were part of Section 3.2.7 with threat, endangerment and assault. Section 3.2.7.1 was added to keep track of sexual assaults, in anticipation of changes in CMU's sexual misconduct policy enacted March 16.

There were six cases of sexual assault convicted last year. There were 29 cases of in the separate threat, endangerment, assault category in 2013-14.

"Any time there is a sexual assault or alleged domestic assaults, we look into them," Idema said. "Not all of them produce charges. Those are the cases that take the longest time to complete. We have federal guidelines on how we have to get our investigations done within 60 days. It seems like a lot of time, but scheduling everyone and compiling all of your information it takes awhile."

On average there are 580 cases Idema's office deals with, although students in the 2011-12 academic year particularly misbehaved, racking up 757 cases.

Idema said violations of CMU's computer abuse policy have become more prevalent in recent years. His office dealt with 47 cases of students illegally downloading materials or using file sharing software last year.

Kole Taylor, manager of the Office of Information Technology, said it is difficult to tell if the increases are due to concentrated efforts from film studios and other content owners, or because more students are illegally downloading.

Music and television companies watch the university's internet, network and contact OIT when a student is using file share software or downloading materials. Taylor said some students are caught when file sharing programs are used off campus but are still activated when they join CMU's wifi network.

On the first offense, students are sent a cease and desist email. The second time, they are referred to the Office of Student Conduct and pay a $150 fine. Repeat offenses are a $300 fine, although Idema said students rarely violate the policy twice.

The CMU help desk can remove the software for a small fee.

"Our rule of thumb is if you didn’t pay for it you’re probably not supposed to be doing it," Idema said. "Students seem to think they are more savvy but it is easy to get caught. Some get the email from us and stop but some I have seen students being sent a pre settlement email to pay a certain amount to keep from going to court."

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →