​Toledo outlasts CMU to win 4-3 in 16 innings

6956_cm_baseballg2_02f

Central Michigan Life File Photo 

Just as the March Madness that carried over into April saw an undefeated Kentucky team lose to Wisconsin, a baseball game that spilled over to the 16th inning came to a disappointing end for Central Michigan University.

After the Chippewas (19-12, 6-2 Mid-American Conference) battled back in the ninth inning to tie the game 3-3 on a University of Toledo throwing error, the offenses of both teams sputtered. Each team left 12 men on base.

The Rockets loaded the bases with one out in the 15th and 16th innings and finally cashed in with an infield single. Senior pitcher Tim Black (2-1, 3.57 ERA) attempted to field the slow-roller, but couldn’t get the runner out at home with the backhand throw.

Toledo claimed the walk-off victory, 4-3.

“Both teams battled really hard,” said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. “Somebody’s got to win, somebody’s got to lose.”

Since the scoreboard was struck by lightning in Toledo earlier in the week, fans had to rely on the public address announcer and fans keeping score to keep track of the 16 innings, which was the longest game of the season for both teams.

Junior pitcher Jason Gamble started the game for CMU, but left after 2 2/3 innings due to an apparent injury. Both senior outfielder Nick Regnier and junior outfielder Logan Regnier didn't play Saturday.

The Chippewas had numerous opportunities to break the tie. Junior outfielder Ryan Heeke left the bases loaded in the ninth and 16th innings. The Chippewas stranded senior second baseman Pat MacKenzie in the 13th after he led off the inning with a double and stole third base.

“I felt we did a lot of good things,” Jaksa said. “But the bottom line is, we’ve got to get a hit, that’s all.”

CMU and Toledo will finish off the series Sunday at 1 p.m.

“We get a hit, we win,” Jaksa said. “Pretty simple.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →