​Baseball pours on double-digit runs for second straight game

img_9901

Freshman outfielder Daniel Jipping makes contact with a ball April 15 against Michigan State at Comerica Park.

The theme of Saturday’s game between Central Michigan University baseball and Ball State University was pouring—both in terms of rain and Chippewa runs.

In a game marred by a pair of rain delays, the Chippewas (32-18, 17-6 Mid-American Conference) dominated for a 21-2 victory. CMU won game one of the series 18-7 on Friday.

With the win, CMU claimed the MAC West title and a top two seed in the upcoming MAC Tournament (May 20-23).

The Chippewas broke open the game in the third inning, scoring five runs to take a 6-0 lead, headed up by doubles from senior catcher Tyler Huntey and freshman designated hitter Daniel Jipping.

Jipping finished the day going 3-for-6 with two doubles, three runs and four RBIs.

Sophomore pitcher Nick Deeg (7-4, 2.77 ERA) started on the mound for CMU, going seven innings, giving up four hits and not allowing a run. Deeg hadn’t pitched more than five innings in a game since April 10 in CMU’s 16-6 win over Eastern Michigan University.

The 21-run CMU effort was the most the Chippewas have scored in a game in the past two seasons.

The Chippewas will go for the series sweep tomorrow at 1 p.m. Ball State swept CMU in Mount Pleasant last season, which was the last time CMU has been swept in a MAC series.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →