A powerhouse of athletes lifts the crowd at powerlifting

Benjamin Bednarz, squats 225 lbs in his second of three attempts in flight 2 during the 2015 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games Power Weightlifting competition on Friday.

Jamie Peterson competes in something she said most women wouldn't think of trying. She is a Special Olympian and powerlifter.

Peterson, a 33-year-old from Marquette, competed in the 2015 Special Olympics Special Games and lifted 95 pounds in the first round, 110 in the second round and 115 in the third round. The 33-year-old participated in the Powerlifting Games held in Central Michigan University's Student Activity Center. 

"I started powerlifting four years ago," Peterson said. "I go to Northern Michigan University and my now coach, Ryan, is a U.S. OAC weightlifter. He thought it would be cool if he started a special olympics powerlifting group at Northern. That's how I got involved."

Peterson said her goals for the Summer Games were to have fun and be with people she loves as she entered the 2015 Summer Special Olympics. 

"I get nervous out there, but I know that its a natural thing," she said. "I get over it because my excitement takes over after the nerves settle."

Phil Cowan, a 24-year-old Special Olympian, promised himself he would do better at the next State Summer Special Olympics. Today, Cowan roared with victory as he fulfilled that promise. Cowan competed in powerlifting and lifted 165 pounds in the first round, 175 in the second round and 180 in the third round.

"I feel very confident in myself when I am up there and everyone is looking at me," Cowan said. "Coach Tyler works with me everyday so I can practice. He's been coaching me since high school and got me interested in powerlifting. I love how Special Olympics gets everyone active and the competition is fun."

Clarence Stevens is a parent of a Special Olympian and a chaperone for the games. He said his favorite part is watching his son get excited on stage with the crowd cheering him on. 

"Gary has been participating in the Special Olympic Games for 18 years now. The crowd and friends are what keeps him coming back," Stevens said. "It is such a great experience for him and a motivator to do better and come back every year."