Hannah's Bark Park to open July 18

bark_park

Hannah's Bark Park, located in Mission Creek Park, will open July 18. 

Built with the help of donors and volunteers, Hannah's Bark Park will open July 18. 

"We're still in the process of growing the grass, and signage will be done hopefully by the end of this week," said Mount Pleasant Recreation Director Ryan Longoria. 

The 3.6 acre park was funded by a partnership between Union Township and the city of Mount Pleasant, and the non-profit "Friends of the Dog Park." The organization raised $39,188 through community outreach and fundraising. The city and township matched the funds dollar for dollar.

The idea for the park was inspired by Hannah Simons-Scalise, a Central Michigan University student who passed away in 2011 with Ewings Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. Scalise told her mom, Lynn Simons, to spend what she would have on Scalise's funeral to open a dog park in Mount Pleasant.

On July 18, Scalise will get her dying wish. 

Each owner must register their dog, present information that the dog has had all of its shots and purchase an electronic key fob to get into the park. It is fully fenced and includes separate areas for large and small dogs. The park will also feature a double-gated entry system. Registration for dogs will begin at 8 a.m. July 13 at City Hall.

Longoria said feedback from the community has been positive.

"A lot of dog owners have expressed their appreciation," he said. "We have a great park system, but it all requires dogs to be leashed. Now they can take their dogs and let them run free."

The Mount Pleasant Parks and Recreation Department predicts the park's revenue to be $5,100, with an operating cost of $13,600. An agreement with Union Township and Mount Pleasant will split the remaining costs not covered through the dog park's revenue between the two for the next five years. 

Members of the park will pay an annual fee of $30 and $20 for an additional dog. Visitor or trial memberships will be available for $5 for a seven-day period. Memberships can be purchased at City Hall. 

The park is also nominated for a Community Excellence Award from the Michigan Municipal League. Nominees in this category are judged on replicability, creativity and originality and community impact. Those who want to vote can do so on MML's website. 

The park is located at Mission Creek Park on Crawford Road. For information on registering your dog, call (989) 779-5300.

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →