UPDATE: Judge to decide if Greer should face trial

img_0321_1

Brandon Greer, defensive back for the Chippewas, is housed at the Isabella County Jail.

Former Chippewas defensive back Brandon Greer, 21, is housed at the Isabella County Jail waiting on Chief Judge Paul Chamberlain to decide if he should face trial. 

Greer was arrested July 9 on charges of attempted kidnapping. At his arraignment July 10, Judge Eric Janes set Greer's bail at $750,000. He was dismissed from the Central Michigan University athletic program shortly after. 

Chamberlain will issue a written decision on whether or not there is enough evidence to go to trial, following a preliminary hearing July 30. 

Greer is charged with assault with intent to commit penetration, a 10-year maximum felony, attempted unlawful imprisonment, a five-year maximum felony, and assault, a 93-day misdemeanor or a $500 fine. 

The Illinois senior is accused of attempting to kidnap a woman walking her dog on the evening of July 8. At his arraignment, he pleaded not guilty. 

Isabella County Principal Trial Attorney Mark Kowalczyk recommended bail be set high because he said Greer is under investigation for approaching at least two other women in the same manner. He said Greer also was involved with a similar incident a couple years ago, and that the defensive back's status at CMU is "tenuous at best." 

Court-appointed attorney Sara Spencer-Noggle said a high bond wasn't necessary because Greer has a strong support system and no criminal record.

"There has been no standard met," she said. "Up to this point, these are all allegations."

The incident occurred around Crapo and Preston streets. 

The woman was walking her dog in the area when a man pulled alongside her and said he had to ask her a question. When she approached the car, the man grabbed her arm. 

According to court documents, the woman refused Greer's invitation to sit in his car. He made a sexual statement as the woman tried to free her arm. Greer went back in the car and drove away. 

After searching the area, police were first unable to locate the suspect. Police responded to a call at the Village of Bluegrass in reference to a man fitting Greer's description who was watching another woman. Greer was stopped by officers and positively identified by the first woman.

During the investigation, police discovered a similar incident occurred on July 6. A man fitting Greer's description approached a woman while she was waiting for a bus. The man told her to get in the car and she refused numerous times. The man then referenced a gun and gestured toward his glove box. The woman later identified the man as Greer. 

Greer is also named in a CMU Police report from 2012, that said he approached a woman while she was walking home from Wayside Central, grabbing her arm. 

Greer told police he sometimes drives around to "clear his head." He admitted to stopping and talking to numerous women on July 8, including the woman walking her dog. He said he moved over to the passenger seat and shook her hand, and admitted he may have been aggressive when she took her hand away. He said when the woman left she may have thought the situation was awkward. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →