CMU ranked 111th in U.S. News & World report

us_news

Central Michigan University was ranked the 111th-best public university in the country in the U.S. News and World Report's 2016 report, being narrowly beat by Western Michigan University at 105th.

The U.S. News rankings focus on academic excellence, with schools ranked on up to 16 measures of academic quality. The rankings emphasize outcomes, with graduation and retention rates carrying the most weight in the methodology at 30 percent. Top schools have high six-year graduation rates and strong freshman retention rates.

CMU ranked 154th in best colleges for veterans and 194th among national universities. Its online programs were ranked very highly; it took 13th in best online bachelor's programs and fifth in best online graduate programs.

Overall, it was a strong showing for Michigan's 15 public universities. U.S. News placed the University of Michigan fourth, Michigan State 29th and Michigan Tech 60th.

U-of-M finished behind only the University of California-Berkeley, University of California, Los Angeles and the University of Virginia in the public school rankings. Princeton, the private New Jersey-based Ivy League institution, finished on top of the overall list.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →