EDITORIAL: Speaking up for free speech

editorial

An educational experience at Central Michigan University is incomplete without exposure to ideas that challenge students' beliefs and perceptions about the world.

This is especially true about ideas that make you uncomfortable or even outraged.

CMU has an open campus policy, as it should. Any person has the right to set foot on university property and engage the public in an open forum, even when their ideas are unpopular.

The "marketplace of ideas" analogy says the best ideas emerge from competition in free, transparent public discourse. The metaphor is frequently in opinions by the Supreme Court and concludes that ideas and ideologies will be adopted by the masses according to their widespread acceptance. Even hate speech and unpopular speech is protected by the First Amendment.

Some speakers like "preacher" Rick Warzywak resort to graphic presentations and insults — students have said he has called them "fags" and "whores" —to make a point. Even they deserve to have their place in the civil discourse. It is important that students understand why sometimes volatile demonstrators are allowed the right to speak on campus.

At the same time, we implore speakers to treat students with respect. Being screamed at instead of talked to can make students feel like they aren't being acknowledged as human beings and generally makes them receptive to your message.

Obviously campus preachers have the right to be here. They don’t have the right to harass or intimidate students. Come to CMU to educate, not incite aggression.

People will listen respect you if you respect them. Yelling and berating students doesn't contribute to a productive discussion or meaningful change.

When students are confronted with hate, walk away. While it is unfortunate that students are harassed when their only crime is walking to class, they are not a captive audience and can choose not to listen. Do not resort to violence or return the aggression of demonstrators.

Department of Journalism Faculty Time Boudreau was right when he said the answer to bad speech is better speech. When you don’t like what someone is saying, don’t muzzle them, speak out against them with a demonstration of your own.

With more than 20 religiously-affiliated Registered Student Organizations on campus, students have many options to practice their faith or learn about religion. It's important to always challenge ideas, regardless of whose they are.

College is the place to share your opinions, probably more than any other time your life, so now is the time to share with an open mind.

Keep an open mind, but keep your rights in mind too.