REWIND: Central Michigan football falls to Syracuse during second major test of 2015, looks to No. 2 MSU

2015_919_syracusefootball_mb064
Westland sophomore Devon Spalding attempts to escape from a Syracuse player during the Chippewas game against Syracuse at the Carrier Dome on Sept. 19. Monica Bradburn | Staff Photographer

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – If effort and fortitude were all it took to win, the Central Michigan University football team might be undefeated this season.

Instead, the Chippewas dropped to 1-2 on the season after their second loss of the year to Power Five conference football program, in a heartbreaking 30-27 overtime loss to Syracuse University on Saturday at the Carrier Dome.

Trailing by double-digits at halftime, the Chippewas shut out Syracuse in the second half and forced overtime, but could not keep the Orange out of the end zone in the extra time.

The Chippewas tied the game with seven seconds to play in regulation on the heave of a 29-yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Cooper Rush to senior tight end Ben McCord, who caught 10 passes for 147 yards and the game-tying score.

Rush finished 37-for-51 passing for 430 yards, two touchdowns and will lead CMU into a highly-anticipated matchup with an instate rival and Top 5 opponent next week: The Michigan State Spartans.

MSU has been ranked among the top teams in college football all season and is 3-0 after handling Air Force 35-21 on Saturday. The Spartans gained nationwide respect a week earlier by downing the seventh-ranked Oregon Ducks.

“We’ve got a big week ahead of us," Rush said. "We’re looking forward to it. We’ve got a group of guys who knows how to come back from losses. We’ll have a good week of practice."

CMU's loss to SU marks the second time in three games the Chippewas have spooked a team from a Power 5 conference and come inches away from pulling of an upset. These near misses have given the Chippewas invaluable experience in pressure situations said first-year Head Coach John Bonamego.

“We battled back, hung tough and fought our way back in the game. I’m really proud of them for that,” Bonamego said. "I was proud of the effort but not happy with the result. Michigan State is an awfully good team."

To compliment Rush's efforts through the air, CMU established a legitimate rushing attack for the first time this season on Saturday.

Chippewa rushers combined for only 158 yards on the ground on 62 carries in the first two games. Against Syracuse, sophomore Devon Spalding and junior college transfer Jahray Hayes combined for 134 yards and one touchdown.

Spalding also caught 10 passes for 102 yards.

"Devon Spalding running the football today played his guts out," Bonamego said. "We’re really proud of him. I think that was a breakout game for him. We’re looking forward to seeing more of that in the future.”

With junior defensive lineman Joe Ostman (ankle) out of the lineup against SU, senior defensive end Blake Serpa was instrumental in the second-half shutout and recorded a key sack in the Orange red zone during the fourth quarter.

The biggest moment of the first half was fraught with controversy.

CMU sophomore defensive lineman Mitch Stanitzek was ejected for an illegal head-to-head hit on SU starting quarterback Eric Dungey, which knocked Dungey out of the game with an upper-body injury.

He was evaluated for concussion-like symptoms and did not return. Dungey's playing status moving forward remains uncertain.

"It was the right call," Bonamego said. "It was one of those plays. Mitch is a very aggressive guy, he is not a dirty player. He's an outstanding young man. I'd let him babysit my kids. He was not aiming for (Dungey's head). Those things happen so fast."

Going to East Lansing to face one of the top half-dozen teams in the country will be one of CMU’s biggest challenges in program history.

“Michigan State’s going to be a tough team," McCord said. "A lot better than Syracuse. But I think we go into next week and start Tuesday with a good mindset.”

Senior linebacker Tim Hamilton said even after a valiant comeback effort during the team's first road swing of the year, the Chippewas are not satisfied.

“It’s always the expectation to win," Hamilton said. "Standards are higher than they’ve ever been around here, so we expect to win every game that we play.”

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →