Who ya got?

The Central Michigan Life sports desk shares expectations for Saturday's game against Syracuse

Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Chippewas huddle before a play at Kelly/Shorts Stadium Sept 3 against Oklahoma State in front of a packed student section. The Chippewas fell to the Cowboys, 24-13.

The oddsmakers in Las Vegas have Syracuse as the 6.5-point favorites in Saturday’s nonconference game between the Orange and the Central Michigan University Chippewas. Here’s how five Central Michigan Life football writers think Saturday’s game is going to go.

Taylor DesOrmeau, sports editor:

Through two games, Syracuse’s new freshman quarterback has four touchdowns and no interceptions, albeit on only 30 passes. But the key for CMU will be stopping the run and finding a way to run on the Orange’s stingy rush defense. Junior quarterback Cooper Rush will be able to keep the Chippewas in the game, but I think CMU will be too one-dimensional to pull off the upset.

Syracuse 31, CMU 27

Dominick Mastrangelo, staff reporter: 

Syracuse was a manageable opponent for CMU even with starting QB Terrel Hunt. Without him, things could get interesting inside the Carrier Dome quicker than expected. Look for this game to be one of the defining performances for Cooper Rush’s career and coach John Bonamego’s first road victory to be a memorable one. 

CMU 31, Syracuse 28

Joe Judd, staff reporter:

This year’s game will be much closer than the 40-3 drubbing suffered at the hands of the Orange in 2014. Don’t expect CMU to come away with a win, but the 2015 version of this matchup will be more competitive than what Chippewa fans saw a year ago.

Syracuse 24, CMU 20

Greg Wickliffe, staff reporter: 

Syracuse’s defense is ranked among the nation’s elite, and when pressured, Cooper Rush hasn’t shown much ability to make plays under duress. If CMU can’t get its run game going, it will be a long afternoon for the Chippewas. Either way, look for the Orange to hand CMU another tough defeat. 

Syracuse 30, CMU 17

Evan Sasiela, staff reporter:

CMU has set themselves up nicely for a road upset at Syracuse after competing with Oklahoma State and punishing Monmouth. However, there hasn’t been much production from the running game and some questions on the defensive line need to be answered. Syracuse Head Coach Scott Shafer composed a game plan that gave the Orange a 37-point victory in Mount Pleasant last season. He will make sure his squad doesn’t go down at the Carrier Dome.

Syracuse 34, CMU 20