Pi Sigma Epsilon hosts second annual Taste of Mid Michigan

Twelve restaurants served samples from their menu during Taste of Mid Michigan on Sept. 12.

The Taste of Mid Michigan event that took place on Saturday, beyond raising money, was to help companies in the area become better known in the community, said junior Jake Mitchell.

Pi Sigma Epsilon, a coeducational sales and marketing fraternity at Central Michigan University, hosted the second annual Taste of Mid Michigan on Saturday to raise money for Mount Pleasant Department of Parks and Recreation.

The event also gave students in Pi Sigma Epsilon experience with working closely with the businesses and restaurants who participated.

"(We) get their name out there, as well as have everyone enjoy some delicious treats," Mitchell said. "We reached out to some companies who had been here before, expressed to them that the main point of this event is to help them (with) getting brand recognition."

Attendees, made up of students and city residents paid $5 to sample food from restaurant vendors, as well as visit with representatives from other businesses in Island Park. There was a total of 15 vendors present, as well as 104.3 WCZY, which was broadcasting live.

Mitchell said approximately 500 people attended the event last year. This year they estimated 700 attendees, but the event could have accommodated up to 1,000.

"We had a good time here last year, (there were) lots of people, and it is close for us,” said owner of Dog Central, Paul McFall. "We do hot dog cart events like this all over the state."

Senior Chris Brown said the event was a big success in the past. Even when Pi Sigma Epsilon had to plan remotely during the summer, members were eager to put it on.

“We have been meeting since May," Brown said. "We met back up at the end of the summer and put the finishing touches on, found a few more restaurants. The event came quicker than I expected.”

For more information on Pi Sigma Epsilon, visit their page on orgsync.