McGuirk Arena to sell beer for first time at Third Eye Blind concert

Alumni and students will be able to purchase beer at the upcoming Third Eye Blind concert on Oct. 2, said Central Michigan University Recreation officials.

The concert will mark the first public sale of alcohol ever in McGuirk Arena, said Stan Shingles, assistant vice president of University Recreation.

Beer will be distributed in 16-ounce cups for $5 to students or alumni who are at least 21 years old. Promoters and university staff call beer sales a "welcome back" gesture to returning alumni over Homecoming Weekend.

"Obviously it’s an amenity that many are used to while attending concerts all around the state or country," Shingles said. "We wanted this to be just another part of the alumni experience when they come back for Homecoming."

Ticket and vendor proceeds will go directly to the university, Shingles said. U-Rec budgeted $130,000 for the concert, which includes production and talent costs. Talent costs $90,000, with Third Eye Blind receiving $65,000 and Hoddie Allen receiving $25,000 for the performance.

Celebrity Events is producing the concert, and will receive a talent finders fee. The company is owned by local restaurateur John Hunter. Hunter and Celebrity Events produced an LMFAO show at McGuirk Arena in 2011.

Selling beer publicly in McGuirk is unprecedented, but students shouldn't expect alcohol sales at sports games or university events any time soon.

"Our liquor license allows (us to sell beer) in this capacity, and our staff routinely serves beer in cash bars during non-public events," he said. "In terms of looking in a crystal ball (about other events), I'm not sure. We look at these things on a case by case basis. We always ask 'why?' For this concert, it's about Homecoming, outreach to alumni, and bringing them back to campus."

Still, most students agree selling alcohol at sports games and concerts could shore up university revenue.

"If they can regulate it, I think they should," said graduate student Shane O'Riordan, 25, from Ireland. "(Selling beer) would be a great way to keep the buzz going inside the stadium. That way alumni have a way to drink while they're there."

Even with the incentive of higher revenues, Macomb junior Megan Moews said they university should take caution when considering alcohol.

"When I’ve gone to university concerts in the past, there’s always kids that drink anyway," she said. "I wonder: if they allow drinking, will it make better or worse? Being on a college campus, I’m not sure how it will affect how kids act at a concert."

Students behave differently at concerts with heavier genres, Moews added. She advises university officials to continue judging each event on a case by case basis.

"It really does depend on the concert," she said. "I can't imagine people doing heavy drinking or hard drugs at a country show, more than they would at rock concert."

About Ben Solis

Ben Solis is the Managing Editor of Central Michigan Life. He has served as a city and university ...

View Posts by Ben Solis →