Chippewas Postgame: Run game struggles, special teams thrives as Chippewas defeat Akron

AKRON, Ohio — It was the same, yet very different.

The Chippewas underperformed against an inferior opponent and ended up eeking out a win at the last second. The latest was an uncomfortably gritty 14-6 defeat of Akron on Saturday.

Three Stars:

1. Senior defensive end Blake Serpa

Serpa was all over the field on Saturday. He recorded six tackles, four of which for a loss. In the backfield, the veteran pass rusher was a nightmare for Akron quarterback Tommy Woodson. Serpa brought Woodson to the ground twice and forced him to fumble at the end of a drive during each half. Serpa was a major reason CMU came out of Northeast Ohio with a victory.

2. Junior receiver Anthony Rice

Rice was quarterback Cooper Rush's top receiver, hauling in nine catches for 105 yards and a score to open the second half. With defenses focused on guarding deep threats like fellow wideout Jesse Kroll and tight end Ben McCord, Rice has emerged as a legitmate and useful option in the CMU passing attack, which despite Saturday's struggles, still remains among the best in the MAC.

3. Junior punter Ron Coluzzi

CMU won the game of field position on Saturday and Coluzzi had a lot to do with it. The Naperville Illinois native pinned the Zips inside their own 20-yard line four times and boomed one kick in the second half 55 yards. He kicked the ball a season-high eight times for and average of 41 yards per punt.

By the Numbers:

-4 — The number of first-half rushing yards for the Zips. CMU rushers combined for just one rushing yard during the defensive struggle

6 — The number of sacks CMU had entering Saturday's game. The Chippewas brought Zips quarterback Tommy Woodson down four times during their third consecutive win.

2009 — The last time CMU was 4-1 or better through the Chippewas' first five conference games. CMU's only MAC loss this season came to rival Western Michigan on the road.

22 — The number of miles between Akron and Kent, Ohio. CMU's final road game of the year will be at Kent State at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 18.

3 — The Chippewas will have three days away from football activities to relax and recuperate during the bye week as they prepare for No. 20 Toledo (7-0) at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 10 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →