Chippewas Injury Update: Spalding out indefinitely, Ostman still questionable

Sophomore running back Devon Spalding carries the ball in the first quarter of the game against Northern Illinois University in Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Oct. 3, 2015. 

As Mid-American Conference play gets rolling, Central Michigan football picked up its first conference win of the season Saturday, but the team took a blow to its roster in the process. Here is where the CMU football team is in terms of health after the 29-19 victory over Northern Illinois

— Sophomore running back Devon Spalding suffered a broken clavicle on CMU's first drive of the game, and is out indefinitely according to Head Coach John Bonamego. Spalding is set to be re-evaluated this week, it is unclear if he will need surgery. Full recovery on a broken collarbone can take up to three months.    

— For the third consecutive week, junior defensive end Joe Ostman did not play for CMU. Ostman has been nursing a severe ankle sprain sustained during CMU's Week 2 victory over Monmouth. 

He did not travel to Syracuse the week after his injury and did not dress against Michigan State or on Saturday. 

Ostman has been slowly ramping up his activity, participating in individual drills last week. Bonamego improved his playing status to "questionable" late last week before eventually keeping him out of Saturday's conference opener. 

Right before he virtually took Saturday's game over, senior linebacker and captain Tim Hamilton had to be helped off the field early in the third quarter due to back spasms. Hamilton said he was "fine" after the game and went on to record 11 tackles, an interception and recover a fumble.

— Senior offensive lineman Kenny Rogers played his first full game last week before starting Saturday's game after tearing his pectoral muscle during spring practice. Rogers and fellow senior offensive lineman Nick Beamish were able to keep junior quarterback Cooper Rush upright for most of the game. Rogers presence should help improve CMU's struggling running game as the MAC season continues. 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →