Gender roles and the importance of feminism to all genders is explored in "Gentlemen's Club"

2015_1111_gentlemansclub_as_03
Members of Gentleman's Club sit and listen to a panel of students discuss issues in today's society such as social pressures and gender stereotyping during Women's Empowerment Week during their meeting on Nov. 11. Alanna Sparks | Staff Photographer

Gender stereotypes and discrimination were discussed at "The Gentlemen's Club" event hosted by the Organization of Women Leaders for Women’s Empowerment Week in Pearce Hall Room 128 on Wednesday night.

Two groups, one comprised of women and the other of men, discussed on stage the main issues involving gender inequality. Both groups agreed about the importance of raising women’s salaries to match men’s and avoiding the further disempowerment of womanhood.

“Making our community aware of feminism and women’s empowerment, that’s what our objective is,” Ann Arbor senior and president of the organization Julia Stier said.

The event focused on the fact that social stereotypes and conventions tied to gender are taught early on in a child's education. Gender reinforced stereotypes suggests young girls play with toys like dolls dolls while boys with cars or videogames.

However, Yale junior Maddi Klause said collegiate female education is the greatest threat for feminism, because it categorizes female-established roles and careers. Teaching and social work, she said are geared heavily toward women. In addition to this idea, she said most female students are expected to get married after they graduate.

Not only women suffer from gender roles. Sterling Heights senior Scottie Simcox said he was discriminated against because he couldn’t grow a beard. He added that another bad stereotype is linked to Greek Life, where every member of a fraternity is thought to be really masculine.

The conversation switched over to household chores. Most people agreed on the necessity of switching housework tasks from cooking to cutting the grass, and eventually doing it together.

However, a long debate arose from the question “Would you accept a marriage proposal made by your girlfriend?” An middle ground was reached by the two groups that this depends on the couple and its particular situation, but most of the men strongly agreed that performing a marriage proposal is a man’s duty.

“The most important thing now is to educate people about the importance of having an equal society for everyone. Even a man can call himself a feminist,” Stier said.