Former student Brandi Love discusses her 12-year career in the adult entertainment industry

A quick Google search using the phrase "Central Michigan University notable alumni" returns links for musicians, actors, athletes and more. It will also bring you to the website of wife, mother and adult film actress, Tracey Livermore. 

While she didn't graduate from CMU, the Dearborn native was working toward a degree in exercise science and a minor in business communication until 1994. It wasn't until she married her husband, CMU alumnus Chris Potoski, that the couple moved to Florida and established careers in business.

From managing her own custom wine label company to working in sales and marketing for Harley Davidson, Livermore made the switch from "the boardroom to the bedroom" after Potoski suffered a stress-induced heart attack. Doctors urged her and her husband to take up a less strenuous lifestyle. 

So the two had sex, and lots of it. 

Filming their own in-home adult movies, Livermore shed her given name and started going by her professional name: Brandi Love. Since her career began in 2004, Livermore has performed for Brazzers, Girlfriends Films, Hustler Video and other adult film companies.

In addition to her movies, Livermore has released a sex-themed book, appeared on talk shows to debate the concept of monogamy and has spoken to college students about open marriage.

Signing a 12-scene deal with Brazzers in February 2015 that would mark the final performances of her porn career, Livermore looks back on her career and her roots as both a Chippewa and a porn star.

How and when did you get into the adult entertainment industry?

LOVE: My journey into adult entertainment is atypical. My husband and I had been married for nearly 10 years and were doing very well in our white-collar careers. And then everything changed. My husband had a heart attack. His cardiologist found that this was a stress-induced event which left no permanent damage to the heart muscle. (The doctor) encouraged him to consider a career change.

(With his job) he flew an average of 240 flights a year and was home about nine days a month. It just got to be too much.

Ultimately, we decided to start a company called Grapevine Greetings, which created custom wine labels for special events as well as a commercial line which served essentially as greeting cards for wine bottles. 

We began networking in Raleigh, NC and were introduced to some people who knew how to develop and market websites. They developed a new Grapevine Greetings site for us and then came to us with a proposal.

To make a long story short, what they proposed was lucrative but required investment — it was also in the adult entertainment industry. After careful deliberation, my husband and I formed and funded a new company and set out on this new and wild adventure.

At that time, the "solo model" site was very popular and the decision that had to be made was "Who would be our first model?" It took me about two seconds to say "What about me? What about us?"

My husband just about fell out of his chair.

We had been sexually adventurous and in our version of an open relationship for years. Now, the only difference would be the cameras. I also knew I could trust us to have fun, show up for the shoots and take it seriously while having a great time. I knew we would protect our investment and I was really turned on by the prospect of all this. I have always had a bit of an exhibitionist fetish in me.

What was life like when you went to CMU?

Back when I was on campus I had two major goals: Maintain a 3.5 (GPA) or higher and spend as much time as possible at the (Student Activity Center). I was addicted to fitness and trained about two hours a day, everyday. I loved my time at CMU. Amazing campus with so many opportunities to get involved. I wish I had gone to more football games.

What was your first shoot?

My first professional shoot was with a company that I simply adore: 'Naughty America.' Truth is, their ownership, executives and producers are class acts. The truth also is my very first scene was eye opening.

It doesn't really matter if you are just beginning a job at Starbucks, Google or in adult entertainment, the first day, those first weeks, are nerve-racking. And so it was for me. I was used to how my husband and I shot for our site, just us making love and having sex with multiple stationary cameras playing voyeur. Now it was lights, camera, action. (There were) lots of people on set, lots of personalities to manage and a raw, unfiltered Los Angeles attitude towards sex. 

I had no idea what half of the positions were called or what I should be doing when they said "OK cut. Lets shoot the next segment in the pile-driver position." It really was shocking that first day but at the same time, it was exhilarating.

What's an average day on set?

I always have a fantastic time on set. I genuinely like the people I work with. In many ways the adult industry, at least at this point in my career, is like a fraternity. That said, people often have this idea that a day on set is one big part. It's not. If you take your profession and performances seriously, it's demanding work. A typical day of set involves eight to 12 hours of makeup, stills, waiting, sex, waiting, sex, waiting, sex and repeat. In order to showcase sexual adventures in a way that is truly erotic, the positions must naturally be unnatural. I would encourage whoever reads this to stand under a heat lamp and attempt a standing 69 for 15 minutes then break for 15 then repeat four times.

And while it is actually demanding work, I love it. I love being in the game.

You're obviously not working all the time. What do you do on your days off?

My husband and I are pretty driven people and have three companies. True days off are few. That said, because they are our companies we have more flexibility than most. Our personal time weaves in and out of business on a daily basis. In my leisure time, however, I enjoy spending time with family and friends, getting outdoors, wine, fitness and the arts. If you looked in on my private life, I'm just the girl next door who is fortunate enough to experience some pretty cool adventures.

Do you view adult entertainment as empowering?

Honestly I could write a book on just this one question because a career in adult (film) done correctly can be on of the most fulfilling journeys in a woman’s life. It’s the worlds most pleasurable activity: No matter the country or study, the world's No. 1 and No. 2 most pleasurable activities are sex and masturbation. I get to call that work; Pretty damn lucky.

(The adult film industry) is lucrative; Let’s face it, we all need to make a living. I believe I earn and deserve (the money) but I get to make doctor money doing what I love. That’s awesome. The hours are flexible. Either I or my husband or both are there for the kids every morning and there when they get home from school. We never miss a play, an event or dinner with friends because ultimately we are in charge of our schedule. There is a tremendous quality of life that accompanies that kind of flexibility.

What do you feel people should know about you?

My life as Brandi as well as the lives of the Livermore's has always been an open book. If you research me or my (family), you'll find our life stories. If there is one thing maybe it would be this: My profession necessitates developing a thick skin. Negativity comes from all sides, and while I accept that it comes with the territory, I'm still as sensitive and fragile as anyone else. I'll err on the side of kindness and compassion if (other people) will.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →