Center for Inclusion and Diversity sponsors annual drag show, packs Plachta

The Center for Inclusion and Diversity sponsored their annual drag show from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. tonight in Plachta Auditorium as part of Pride Week, put on by the Office of LGBTQ Services.

Students were lined up as early as 5:45 p.m. for the show, filling the hallway in front of the auditorium with enthusiasm and excitement.

Letting people in at the door before the performance was Livonia freshman Courtney Winn. She is a member of Alpha Phi Omega, a coed service fraternity that helps out with the show.

“I’m really excited for the queens. They always have so much personality,” Winn said. “I think it’s wonderful that so many people come out to support and love them.”

For people who have never been to a drag show before, people working the event were giving out pamphlets explaining the difference between doing drag and being transgender. Drag is when a person creates a character using fashion, make-up and theater experience. A transgender person is not a character, rather a person who identifies with a gender different than the one they were assigned at birth.  

The show started off by introducing the host Sabin, who had tons of energy and told the audience she used to be a professional dancer and showed off her high-kicking, cartwheeling and ability to do the splits.

Throughout the show Sabin came down into the audience and talked to students, answering any questions they had about herself or the art of drag. She talked about her collection of thigh high sequined boots, all of which she makes herself.

The show featured a number of other queens from across Michigan, as well as two students.

Twins Cory and Kristin Spelde, both Grand Haven seniors, said this was their fourth year attending the drag show. 

“Drag is a part of my life outside of school, so it’s really cool that other people get to experience a little bit of it on a college campus,” Cory said. "It’s really an art form, and I think people don’t understand how much work goes into it and how intense it is."

Kristin said she loves coming for the great entertainment.

Portage freshman Katie Chizek said the show tonight was her first drag show. She said she's always wanted to see one.

“I have no prior expectations whatsoever,” Chizek said. “It seems like such a fun thing, I just hope people let go and have fun with it.”

Sabin said this is the eighth year she has been hosting the drag show at Central Michigan University.