Victory Lap: After breaking hand, softball shortstop returns for senior season

ark-cmuvnwu-09
Andrew Kuhn/Staff Photographer Sophomore shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer, attempts to throw out a runner at first base Saturday afternoon against Northwood University in Mount Pleasant. The Chippewas beat the Timberwolves 11-1.

Shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer was in the midst of her senior season for the Central Michigan softball team. The Canton native had a .345 batting average after nine games and was coming off a performance that earned her Mid-American Conference West Player of the Week honors.

After two weeks off due to game cancellations, Sexauer was batting in practice when the ball hit her right hand. Something immediately felt wrong.

“I tried not to jump to any conclusions right away,” she said. “I couldn’t really move my hand, but I waited until I got x-rays and saw the doctor before I got too far ahead of myself in my mind regarding the consequences.”

The doctor told her the bone in her hand was broken at the base and she would have to wear a cast for four to six weeks.  After the cast was off, Sexauer had to wear a splint to make sure the hand healed properly, which kept her out of competition even longer.

“It was frustrating, but I learned a lot from teammates working (as I was) sitting out,” Sexauer said. “But I was bummed to be missing out on the majority of games in what I thought was going to be my final year.”

When the splint came off, Sexauer still felt pain when batting. The doctor warned her that she could re-injure it from the vibrations coming off the bat, so she was forced to miss even more time.

After losing most of her senior season, Sexauer decided to use a medical redshirt and come back for one final year. During the summer, she underwent rehab, which included stretching and strengthening her hand.

“I was unsettled about the way the season ended and wanted another year to end on a good note,” Sexauer said. “I was thrilled to get one more year to be with my teammates and finish up academically and athletically.”

Enduring together

While the rehab process was frustrating, Sexauer was not alone in her journey back to the lineup.

Senior second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure — who suffers from chronic back problems — had been dealing with similar circumstances for three years. DeLamielleure shared her wisdom and the two supported each other throughout the process.

“We’ve been here together for five years,” DeLamielleure said. “She helped me through my injury and just to stay positive and I wanted to help her. We play for each other.”

Sexauer was inspired by the way her teammate battled through back pain.

“She is one of the toughest people I know, if not the most tough,” Sexauer said. “I don’t know how anyone could battle through pain like that and I admire her so much for it. If there was ever a day where I was hurting, I would think of Chelsea and it would me work through the pain.”

Second chance  

By the beginning of this season, Sexauer was healthy, but her fifth year started with struggles.

After 23 games on the road in southern states to start the season, Sexauer was without a home run. It wasn’t until the team’s home opener against Valparaiso on March 22 where she would break the slump.

Trailing 1-0 in the first inning, Sexauer stepped to the plate and delivered a shot over the left field wall to tie the game. After hitting an RBI double in her second at-bat, Sexauer stepped to the plate again in the fifth inning and hit her second home run over the center field wall.

The Chippewas won 5-3 behind Sexauer’s four RBIs. 

“It feels good to be back and out there,” she said after the game. “I love playing on our home field. I tried not thinking too much when I was up there and just watched the ball and that was my attack plan.”

Sexauer continued her attack plan into MAC play and has arguably been CMU’s most valuable hitter this season. Not only does she lead the team in RBIs (31), but she also is first in doubles (9), tied for second in home runs (6) and third in batting average (.333).

“She’s a great player as well as a great person,” said Head Coach Margo Jonker. “She puts her heart and soul into everything she does and that’s all you can ask from a student-athlete.”

Lessons learned

While the journey has not been easy for Sexauer, she says she has learned a lot about herself and her team. The fifth year senior gained a new perspective during her injury and said she wouldn’t be the same without that experience.

“Had I not gone through these trials, I don’t think I would have learned to love the game as much," she said. "You gain a different perspective sitting out. You realize that this time goes by too quickly for you to be worried about all the little things. It enabled me to let go, work my hardest and just enjoy and trust the process.”