CMU Summer Theatre performs across the state, gains experience in all aspects of theater

dsc_0402

Left to right, Courtney (Christian Sanchez) discusses with her sisters P.B. (Caylin Waller) and Melanie (Allie Jackson) in "One Slight Hitch" the pros and cons of going through with her wedding. "One Slight Hitch" was part of the University Theatre's summer repertoire this season and will re-open in September.

Allie Jackson works six days a week as a struggling night-club dancer in Soho, a sound director for a dysfunctional group of Southern eccentrics and as a house manager of an apartment full of poisoned chocolates and lethal martinis.

The Sterling Heights senior is a member of the Central Michigan University Summer Theatre. 

As a company member, Jackson is both an actor and technician for its three summer shows: "Shady Business," "Dearly Departed" and "Marriage is Murder."

She plays Mandy, a nightclub worker, in "Shady Business", creates the sound effects for "Dearly Departed" and is responsible for the theater and its staff for "Marriage is Murder." 

The shows are performed in three different theaters during the summer. The company, comprised of 12 students, perform in Bush Theater, Beaver Island Community Center Theatre on Beaver Island and The Howmet Playhouse in Whitehall. 

“It’s a lot of fun to show your work to not just your community, but to everyone,” Jackson said. “Not many people can say they toured their show, or that they were part of a touring company, until they enter the professional world.”

The company, comprised of 12 students, have different jobs for each show varying between acting, sound effects, costume design and lighting design. 

Cast members spend five weeks rehearsing for the three shows. The rehearsal schedule comes in three shifts, six days a week: 9 a.m to noon, 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 7 p.m to 10 p.m. Each session is dedicated to rehearsing a different show.

Because of the grueling rehearsal schedule, students aren’t allowed to take other classes or hold other jobs during that time. Scholarships are given to the students to help offset the costs of traveling and living. An additional free six credit hours for theater-related classes are given to the students once the season ends.

“The great thing about the program is it allows students to see what it’s like to be completely focused on theater,” said Steven Berglund, director of University Theater and administrator of Summer Theatre. “It’s intense, but rewarding.”

The shows run in repertory, meaning they perform different shows at regular short intervals, which is uncommon for a university program. After the performance of one show, the company does a set change, building the set for the next show the next day.

How long it takes to switch sets depends on the show, Berglund said. The three shows have a basic structure where the sets windows and doors change out so it looks different, but with the same structure.

“While it’s nice to be paid for something you love to do. You’re able to apply the things you learned in school to the program,” Jackson said. “It gives me more skills than just performing, which makes more more valuable as an actor.”

The company takes one week off before it loads the sets into a truck to begin traveling. This allows the actors the opportunity to perform in three different theater settings.

“We are a great (display) to the rest of the state, because people see what CMU students do, not only in Mount Pleasant, but we take it to them too. We become an extension,” Berglund said.

Traveling is one of Sterling Height senior Dani Montpetit’s favorite parts of being in summer theatre. Performers can become used to their home theater, so performing in other settings forces them to modify their performance to fit the new space, she said. 

Montpetit plays Margaret and is prop master in Dearly Departed. She is the dialects coach and assistant director in Shady Business and the costume head for Marriage is Murder.

“It makes me more marketable because I gained a lot of skills in the costume shop and props, as well as gaining performing experience,” she said. “When I leave CMU, I can now market myself not only as an actor, but as a dialects coach, customer or lighting.”

"Marriage is Murder" begins Sunday at 2 p.m. at Bush Theater. It is the last showing before the cast begins to travel.