'Major' concert potentially coming to Kelly/Shorts Stadium in 2017

At its meeting Friday, the Central Michigan University Development Board discussed a potential major concert in Kelly/Shorts Stadium in 2017.

Proposed by John Hunter, owner of The Cabin, Wayside Central and Hunter's Ale House, the vision of the concert is to raise funds for CMU's general fund while providing "first class entertainment" to students, faculty and the community. The concert would have an economic stimulus for the university and City of Mount Pleasant.

Hunter proposed a show in late August or early September with a crowd capacity of more than 25,000 and suite sales.

One potential artist, who Hunter said is open to the idea, is Michigan native Kid Rock. Hunter mentioned how Rock sold out 10 consecutive shows last August at DTE Energy Music Theater in Clarkston. The 10 shows drew a combined 150,000 fans. 

The cost for one major artist would be $500,000.

Another option, Hunter said, is a country music festival. 

The festival would include four to five artists. The first artist, as proposed, would be paid $200,000, the second would get $150,000, the third would get $75,000 and the fourth would get $50,000.  

The expected total revenue would be $1.4 million, with more than $940,000 in ticket sales.

The proposal must first be approved by the Board of Trustees, who will discuss it at its June 28 meeting.

Stay with CM Life as more information about the concert becomes available. 

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →