Mother of CMU student-athlete killed in Kalamazoo crash

The mother of a Central Michigan University student-athlete was one of the five bicyclists killed June 7 near Kalamazoo.

Debra Ann Bradley, 53, died after her group of bicyclists was struck by a pickup truck on a road in Cooper Township. Four others were killed and four more were critically injured. 

She is survived by her husband, Tom, and two children. Her son, Colton Bradley, is a junior pitcher and outfielder on the CMU baseball team.  

"The Central Michigan Athletics Department sends its condolences to the family of student-athlete Colton Bradley for the loss of his mother, Debra Ann Bradley. Colton and his entire family are in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time," said CMU Director of Athletics Dave Heeke in a statement.

After fleeing the scene on foot, the male pickup truck driver was arrested and jailed. Police received several calls of concern over the man's driving and several police agencies were actively looking for him at the time of the crash, according to MLive.

Bradley, an Augusta, Michigan native, was riding with her informal weekly biking group "The Chain Gain." The ride was a tradition for 15 years — every Tuesday at 6 p.m. The group was struck at the 5500 block of North Westnedge Avenue.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →