CMU Research Corporation expands to two new cities

The Central Michigan University Research Corporation plans to expand its operations into two new cities in the Great Lakes Bay Region.

The first facility will be located in Bay City. The second location has not been decided. The decision came after a vote by the CMURC’s board of directors.

University President George Ross is a chair member on the CMURC board. He said expansion plans complement the university’s goals to influence and support communal growth and celebrate ingenuity.

"This facility will bring CMURC's expertise, resources and pipelines directly to Bay City and other communities," said Ross.

Since being established in 1999, CMURC has worked with both the campus and Mount Pleasant community to establish itself as a "SmartZone," or a place where experts within higher education and local businesses can collaborate on ways to encourage economic growth and communal welfare.

The expansion will allow budding businesses in the new cities to work in partnership with other local businesses, chambers of commerce, economic development organizations and the university itself to utilize resources and kick-start self-growth according to a press release issued by University Communications.

CMURC president and CEO Erin Strang said the expansion has potential to help the two new host cities.

"We have created scalable programs to serve the region, but this expansion will allow us to better serve entrepreneurs and make all that CMURC has to offer even more accessible," she said. "We're excited about the opportunity to guide the development of businesses that will boost the local tax base, create jobs and make our communities more vibrant."

The second location and specific construction information for both locations is scheduled to be released in the next few months according to that same press release.