EDITORIAL: Don’t lose faith in the power of your vote

In a few short months, the American people will cast ballots to elect the next President of the United States.

It is a historic time to be a registered voter. We will participate in a presidential election unlike any other. As the staff of Central Michigan Life, we understand that our mission as student media is more important than ever.

Part of that mission is advocating for students and exploring the issues affecting their lives. This semester, we plan to cover politics with a renewed focus. It is our goal to put student voter issues and potential office holders into our editorial spotlight.

In turn, we hope you use that information to mobilize yourself, and your friends, to vigorous political action. We hope to encourage you to turn out on election day. We want you to advocate for the issues you hold dear.

Our coverage will explain the process of voting, including how you can cast your ballot in Isabella County. Covering candidates for local, state and national offices is also a key part of that plan.

If Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton visits Michigan eight times, we’ll aim to cover her eight visits. If Republican nominee Donald Trump visits our state nine times, we’ll cover his rallies nine times.

Our coverage of these candidates will be fair. We will not favor a set of candidates over another.

Our opinion page is the exception to this rule. We encourage our staff to opine on the issues they care about. We encourage our readers to send us guest columns and letters to the editor.

Send your submissions to opinion@cm-life.com. If you would like to apply for a columnist position, please visit us at Moore Hall 436.

We believe that voting is still the sharpest weapon for positive change.

At least 46 million people between the ages of 18-29 are eligible voters, according to CIRCLE, an organization focused on inspiring young people to vote. That’s nearly 21 percent of the registered American electorate.

We still believe your vote matters. And we get it, your candidate of choice probably didn’t survive the primaries. U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders lost. On the other side, more than 10 candidates slugged it out for the GOP nomination. That means at least nine different constituencies lost.

Now you’re either voting for Clinton or Trump, or exercising your right to vote elsewhere by supporting a third party. That’s great, and we’re happy you’re still involved.

What’s concerning to us is if you choose not to vote at all.

Don’t lose faith in the process. Not participating means chipping away at a vital coalition that carried President Reagan and President Barack Obama to victory – twice.

We at Central Michigan Life will make an effort to convince you of your own power.

People who live in nations ruled by oppressive governments die each day to have their political voices heard.

Keep that in mind as you reflect on the power of your vote.