Art Battle creates unity between artists, community

When Chase Cranson attended the 2015 Art Walk Central "Art Battle", he stayed for about 10 minutes as a bystander, going home with no prize money from the event.

This year, Cranson remained at the event for two hours as an artist, only he walked away with $200.

“To be here, show up, participate and (get picked) to win — that was crazy," Cranson said.

The Mid Michigan Community College student earned 12 votes, winning the Art Battle Competition by one point Tuesday night in Town Center, on the corner of Main and Broadway Streets. Ten artists competed for two hours while community members voted on their work to determine the winner.

The event is presented by Art Reach of Mid Michigan during Art Walk Central, which runs until Sept. 10.

Art Battle was scheduled for Aug. 27, but was postponed due to weather conditions. Laura Clift, education and programming coordinator of Art Reach, said there were originally 14 competitors, but the number dwindled to 10.

Dianne Ward, office manager at Art Reach, said this year's event was down. Art Battle's first year in 2012 had about 700-800 people, but included a concert. The Ragbirds were scheduled to perform during Art Battle's original date on Saturday, but moved to the Ward Theater.

A member of the Mount Pleasant three-piece bluegrass band, Sun Spokes, performed in the place of The Ragbirds.

Despite the decrease in participating artists, Ward said Art Battle is Art Walk Central's signature event.

"Being able to watch them from start to finish, and with all these people asking questions and talking to them, it’s pretty exciting," Ward said.

Cranson was inspired to enter this year after seeing last year's event. A former Kendall College of Art and Design student, he would sketch his service dog, a German Shepherd named Bune, a couple of times a week.

“It’s helpful because you have someone to give you a portrait, even though it’s not human," he said.

However, he said he was not happy with the final result and abandoned drawing his canine friend about an hour before the event. With Bune laying on the ground near him, Cranson pictured a new idea — he used graphite dust to create a woman with drapery over her holding a skull.

Cranson said he wanted to have a ghostly, horror feeling. His work earned him the $200 prize, which he said will most likely go to art supplies.

Cranson said he usually doesn't win things, so the victory was "surreal."

“It’s pretty rare to step out from the pack," he said. "This is the thing I’ve been training my whole life for. I’m really satisfied that the hard work I put into it kind of made it through, even if it was by only one vote.”

Cranson's competition included Shane Smith, a 1993 graduate of CMU's art program. The 48-year-old Blanchard resident competed in his second Art Battle using watercolor pencils to draw cows.

“I like to talk to the people and doing (art) in front people," Smith said. "I’ve done art performances with bands before. It’s fun to hear what people say (about the art).”

Art Battle also provided an avenue for first-time competitors such as Mollea Davis. The 24-year-old has been painting for six years and challenged herself to compete in the event.

“I think the point in life is to find something that you enjoy doing," Davis said. "I could spend all of my hours, all of my days painting. I love it that much.”

Davis, who describes herself as a free painter, constructed a painting about a menstrual cycle she started earlier that day.

“I’m in the process of taking back the power of having a period," Davis said while painting. "It’s kind of poo-pooed upon in society but if women didn’t have a period, we couldn’t keep creating life. It has more symbolism in life in a sort of metaphysical way as well. It symbolizes our power of creative energy.”

CMU students such as Detroit senior Ife Zuri attended the event to watch the performances. The art major came out to find inspiration and to surround herself in the Mount Pleasant art scene. She said she wants to take part in the event in 2017.

“(The art scene) is a bit small being that we only have Art Reach, Helios Art Galleries and the art gallery on campus," Zuri said. "I think it’s vibrant and there’s a lot of artists and a lot of potential around.”

Tecumseh Adams of the Sun Spokes performed in the Town Center at 6 p.m. and said he enjoyed combining the elements of music with art.

“I feel like (music and art) kind of mesh together seamlessly," Adams said. "It’s like art galleries when they have showings. Having live music just adds to the whole event.”

Art Battle included a painting of Spongebob Squarepants from Raymond Austin, robots made from household appliances from Justin LaDoux and a body painting from Katie Schroeder-Muma. 

The latter's project included assistance from friends and family — Matt Muma held a fan for his wife at times.

“A lot of things go behind the scenes while the individual is doing the work," Muma said.

Clift said Art Battle is usually blocked off on Broadway Street, but had to be changed to the Town Center following the postponement. She added the community turnout was great in her first year in her position.

“I think Mount Pleasant is a great community to do stuff like (Art Battle) because there’s definitely a small-town feeling, and a nice downtown and a love for the arts," Clift said.

As for Cranson, he said the win allows him to gain exposure.

Cranson is eyeing a win in the Art Walk Central competition, as his work is being displayed at Art Reach. He said there is a lot of talent in the area, but believes he has what it takes to put the finishing touches on his 2016 Art Walk Central experience.

“I work pretty hard and put my stuff together to give myself the best odds I thought I would be able to do," he said. "From there, it can only help."

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →