Legends of the Dark haunted campus tour to continue through the weekend

legends_of_the_dark3

Scottville freshman Joshua Spicer awaits the next group of students on Trout Hall's Legends of the Dark Haunted Campus Tours on Oct. 19 on the campus of Central Michigan University. 

Central Michigan University's campus will become openly haunted throughout the weekend for the annual "Legends of the Dark" haunted campus tour.

Different locations are decorated to become the scenes of ghost stories. One includes a young girl, Caroline, who died and now haunts campus.

Tours continue tonight, Friday and Saturday from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Tickets purchased in Trout Hall prior to the event are $4, and tickets are $5 at the door.

“(The tour is) a lot of fun, especially if you get a group of friends and volunteer for it,” said junior Caleb Northrop. "It's my first year volunteering."

Trout Hall has hosted Legends of the Dark for 21 years. The event raises money for the hall and different local charities.

Volunteer tour guides lead participants around the 'haunted' campus areas, where students working as "scarers" jump out as students after being dressed by make-up artists.

“It’s kind of a fun way to get involved, but you don't have to leave campus or do it by yourself,” Northrop said.

This is sophomore Katie Munday's second year being a tour guide for Legends of the Dark. Each tour guide gets a new group of people to tour every 10-15 minutes.

A majority of participants are college students. However, some older community members attend as well, said Munday.

“Entire floors come together (to go on the tour),” Munday said.

It is recommended those going on the tours are 13 years and older.

Each tour is estimated to be around 20-30 minutes.

Last year about 900 people showed up for all of the three night put together.

“It’s a really good way to get involved with the community of Trout," Munday said. "It's a level of bonding that happens when you scare people together."