Rapid Reaction: Toledo 31, CMU 17

Logan Woodside to Cody Thompson was a potent connection for Toledo at Glass Bowl Stadium today, connecting on four separate occasions for touchdowns, carrying the Rockets to a 31-17 victory over Central Michigan.

The Chippewas record falls to 5-3 and 2-2 in the Mid-American Conference, two games behind Western Michigan in the MAC West Division. Toledo (6-1, 3-0 MAC) sits alone in second place.

After CMU scored 10 consecutive points to bring Toledo's lead down to 17-10 in the third quarter, the Rockets delivered a knockout blow to the Chippewas' comeback hopes on an 11-yard touchdown pass from Woodside to Thompson.

The pair connected on their fourth and final touchdown pass midway through the fourth quarter, giving Toledo a 31-10 lead.

Junior tight end Tyler Conklin caught his fourth touchdown pass of the season on a four-yard pass from Rush, bringing Toledo's lead down to 31-17.

Toledo scored the game's first touchdown on a 16-yard touchdown pass from Woodside to Thompson on its opening possession of the second half. 

CMU followed up the touchdown drive with a turnover on senior quarterback Cooper Rush's eighth interception of the season. After the turnover, Woodside found Thompson for the pair's second touchdown connection to take a 17-0 lead.

CMU responded with a five-play, 73-yard drive that ended on a 20-yard touchdown run by Rush after escaping a collapsing pocket to bring the score to 17-7.

Senior kicker Brian Eavey made a 36-yard field goal to bring the Toledo lead down to 17-10, rebounding from an 0-for-2 performance against Northern Illinois last week. 

The first half was an offensive struggle for both sides, combining for just three points and 285 yards for total offense. Toledo and CMU came into the game ranked first and fourth in the Mid-American Conference in yards gained per game.

Toledo scored the only points of the first half on a 34-yard field goal at the end of an 11-play, 64-yard drive in the first quarter.

CMU had an opportunity to score at the end of the first half, but junior running back Devon Spalding fumbled the ball out of the end zone reaching for the goal line, resulting in a turnover. 

What's next

CMU will return to action at noon next Saturday against Kent State in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Kent State came into today with a 4-3 (1-2 MAC) record with its game in progress against Ohio.