Men's basketball earns first MAC win as four players score in double-figures against Toledo

Coming into Friday as the only Mid-American Conference team without a conference victory, the Central Michigan men’s basketball team was hungry to end its drought.

Senior Braylon Rayson was one of four Chippewas to score in double-figures Friday night as CMU defeated Toledo 96-88 to earn its first conference victory.

The Dallas, Texas native finished with 28 points on 10-of-19 shooting. 

“I thought both teams played equally hard and I’m really proud of our group for being able to come through in a game where they had to feel some pressure after losing some games,” head coach Keno Davis said. “Sometimes getting that first one is the hardest one to get.”

CMU (11-6, 1-3 MAC) came firing out of the gates and led 11-0 in the first three minutes of the game. Behind the play of Rayson, junior Marcus Keene and a rejuvenated defensive effort, it appeared the Chippewas were on their way to a potential blowout win.   

When Keene — the nation’s leading scorer — went down with an injury late in the first half, it was up to the rest of the team to pick up the slack.

Rayson took control of the offense and was aggressive all night. Rayson added four rebounds, but also had nine turnovers and fouled out with 45 seconds left in the game.

“We knew we had to pick it up," Rayson said. "That’s our leading scorer. That’s the nation’s leading scorer, so everybody better step it up. We hit shots tonight and it feels good to get the win.”

Freshman David DiLeo came off the bench and added 17 points including a vital 3-pointer mid-way through the second half. With the Chippewas once 13-point lead cut down to two, DiLeo hit from the corner to take the momentum back for CMU and eventually pull away.

DiLeo shot 4-of-9 and went 6-of-6 from the free throw line late as well.

After allowing 33 points to Akron center Isaiah Johnson on Tuesday, the front court of Luke Meyer and DaRohn Scott also stepped up in a big way Friday. The duo combined for 17 points, 11 rebounds, 5 blocks and 3 steals to limit a dangerous Toledo frontcourt.

“We just try and play as hard as we can,” Meyer said. “We knew we had a tough match-up. We knew we had to bear down as well as we could and keep them from going off too much.”

Keene returned to the game right before halftime, but appeared bothered by the ankle the rest of the game. The Youngstown State transfer finished with 20 points, shooting 7-of-18 from the field.

Toledo shooting guard Johnathon Williams led the game with 30 points on 12-of-26 shooting. Center Steve Taylor Jr. added 20 points and 16 rebounds.

What’s Next

The Chippewas head to Muncie, Indiana on Tuesday to take on the Ball State Cardinals. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the game will be aired on ESPN 3.