CMU looks to get win in tough road test

Playing away from McGuirk Arena has been troublesome for the Chippewas this season, posting just a 2-3 record in true road games.

Today, CMU (14-4 overall, 6-0 MAC) have another test in the Mid-American Conference, this time in New York where they will take on Buffalo (13-4, 3-3) looking to stay perfect in conference play.

CMU comes in one a six game winning streak, while the Bulls come in on a two game winning streak of their own.

Head Coach Sue Guevara is extremely satisfied with the strong start to conference play, but as always know the next game is the most important.

“We have a really tough road ahead of us here, but as always the next game is the important one and right now thats Buffalo,” Guevara said. “You know me, if I start looking ahead then I lose my focus. We are focusing on Buffalo, undefeated is nice, but it’s one game at a time.”

The Chippewas wanted to work on guarding the 3-pointer better by being more aggressive this week, and against Miami (OH) it was a success. The Redhawks only shot just over 33 percent from beyond the arc.

Buffalo are shooting just 39.3 percent from the field on the year which is good for seventh in the MAC, and only 29.4 percent from 3-point distance which is ninth place in the MAC.

Junior Guard Cassie Breen, who scored 17 points against Miami, believes that the Chippewas success can continue if they can keep working together to find wins.

“I think the key component is all of us working together,” Breen said. “Nights that we have four people in double-figures shows were sharing the ball a lot, and when everyone is making their shots we are a tough team to beat.”

CMU is third in the MAC on field goal percentage, now shooting 44.3 percent per game. From 3-point range they are shooting 37.4 percent which is good for second in the conference.

Maybe even more impressive is how the Chippewas are shooting 75 percent from the free throw line, which is also second in the MAC.

Game time is set for noon today as CMU looks to hold first place in the MAC West Division.