Women's basketball host Ball State in battle to top MAC West teams

After opening Mid-American Conference play with three straight victories, the Central Michigan women's basketball team will finish its homestead against Ball State Wednesday at 7 p.m.

CMU (11-4 overall, 3-0 MAC) has averaged 89.3 points per game while shooting an average of 48 percent from the field. The Chippewas have won all of those contests by double-digits as well.

Ball State enters the game 10-5 overall and 3-0 in the MAC West as well. Northern Illinois is also 3-0 in conference play, while Western Michigan and Toledo are 2-1. 

Coach Sue Guevara said she knows the competition will not become any easier moving forward. 

“We’re doing a great job right now of finding ways to win when one of our key components isn't working,” she said. “When our (3-pointer) isn't going down, we have found ways to get it inside and make free throws. It’s important because its not going to get any easier from here on out. We've got a good Ball State team coming here that we need to be ready for.”

The Cardinals are 3-1 on the road this season while the Chippewas are 8-1 at home. CMU has scored over 70 points in all of its home games this year, besides the one which resulted in the only home loss to Elon earlier in the season. 

Sophomore guard Presley Hudson, CMU’s leading scorer at 17.6 points per game, has scored
over 20 points in all three conference games and has been named MAC West Player of the Week for the past two weeks. Her scoring has helped the Chippewas post the second-highest scoring offense in the MAC. 

CMU has three other players averaging double-digits in scoring on the season: junior guard Cassie Breen (13.6), junior forward (13.9), and senior forward Jewel Cotton (13.2). 

“Presley has been great and is really showing confidence in her shot, but everyone else around her has been playing well in other ways than just scoring,” Guevara said. “Reyna (Frost) has done a good job battling on the boards and we have key minutes from our bench. That’s important if you want to make a run in March.”