Women's basketball starts MAC play undefeated

After losing its final non-conference contest, the Central Michigan women's basketball team now finds itself winners of three games in a row with an undefeated Mid-American Conference record.

The Chippewas went 4-1 during winter break, including a win against Big Ten opponent Illinois. They now sit at 11-4 overall and 3-0 in the MAC.

The Chippewas opened MAC play with a 91-78 win over Kent State on New Year's Eve. CMU then defeated Akron 89-62 Wednesday and topped Buffalo 88-71 Saturday

Head Coach Sue Guevara said she was proud of her team's efforts to start conference play, and thinks these wins will only add to her players confidence.

“Our players are really doing a nice job of following the game plan, and once again, it’s all about being consistent,” she said. “Can we do the same thing each and every game, maybe just shoot the three (pointer) a little bit better? I’m very happy with our free throws, but we need to do a better job on the boards.”

One player who has started to make her presence felt at the start of MAC play is sophomore guard Presley Hudson. 

Hudson scored a combined 92 points during the first three conference games and is averaging 17.6 points per game this season to lead the Chippewas.

Senior forward Jewel Cotton has started to slowly get back into her role during the past few weeks after dealing with a high ankle sprain. She scored 17 points to help put away Buffalo in the second half.

A couple areas Guevara said she wants to see improvement in is turnovers and rebounding. The Chippewas average 14.9 turnovers per game — good for fourth in the MAC. As for rebounding, CMU is averaging 39.4 boards per game, which is tied for 8th in the MAC. 

The Chippewas take on Ball State at 7 p.m. Wednesday at McGuirk Arena. The Cardinals enter the game 10-5 overall and 3-0 in the MAC West.