Frost continues to pursue career rebounding record

While most fans consider the amount of points a player scores per game the most important statistic, Reyna Frost takes pride in another aspect of basketball — rebounding.

The sophomore forward for the Central Michigan women’s basketball team decided she wanted to take a different angle toward helping her team win.

“I think rebounding shows that I care about the whole game of basketball,” Frost said. “There is a lot of different ways to win, but I just play my role and do it for my team. I just try to contribute in my own way.”

Last season, Frost was selected to the Mid-American Conference all-freshman team after averaging a double-double in points and rebounds during conference play and recording 15 double-digit rebound games.

The Reese native leads the MAC in rebounding with 11.4 rebounds per game. Throughout 19 games this season, Frost has pulled down 94 offensive rebounds and 122 defensive rebounds.

Her rebounding efforts have helped the Chippewas begin the season 14-6 overall and 6-2 in the MAC.

Record chasing

Frost has repeatedly said she wants to become the all-time leading rebounder in the program’s history before she leaves CMU.

Crystal Bradford — who played for CMU from 2011-15 — currently holds the record for the most career rebounds with 1,140.

As of Wednesday morning, Frost sits at 535 career rebounds. She is on pace to have 341 rebounds by the end of the season, which would put her career total at 649. With two years left of collegiate eligibility, Frost would need 492 rebounds to break the record.

Former CMU players Gina Mazzolini and Julia Roberts are tied for the single-game record in rebounds with 24.

When she arrived in Mount Pleasant, one of Frost’s goals was to break that record. Frost came close in a game this season where she recorded 23 rebounds in a win against Bowling Green.

Teams in the MAC are starting to notice the rebounding ability Frost has by throwing double team defensive schemes at her. Frost has her own way of playing through it.

“I’ve definitely noticed people getting a little more physical and aggressive with me when I hit the glass,” Frost said. “I just adjust to however they play me by trying to fake them out or do a spin before they can get a box out on me. I just try to read it.”

When growing up, Frost looked up to one specific player as a role model in how she plays the game.

“Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the first players I ever learned about and I know he was a strong rebounder,” Frost said. “I know teams when they win in rebounding, they win 80 percent of the time.

“(Rebounding is) a very subtle thing people don't realize that helps win games. I really took it to heart and want to be the best rebounder out there.”

Continuing to improve

Her work off the court and experience have played a big role in her success off the glass from her freshman year to now, Frost said.

“I think I have developed more maturely as a player, and getting stronger from the weight room was big for me,” Frost said. “Being able to understand where the ball is going, boxing out and finding the right player to box out has really helped.”

Head Coach Sue Guevara said she thinks highly of Frost for wanting to break the program record in rebounds — a goal from before she even stepped on CMU’s campus.

“It all started when we were recruiting her. I was out at the beach walking my dogs, and I got the phone call and pulled over to the side of the road,” Guevara said. “I was so happy that she said yes to us, and I remember saying this is the goal, you have to be the leading rebounder after four years, you have to have the record — not a lot of people want that, work for that, but she is more than willing to put the work in.”

Guevara said Frost’s drive to get rebounds has always been the same, but her skills on the court continue to improve.

“It’s the same determination, will and sacrifice to go get the ball this season, but what I’ve noticed is she is more of the subject of attention with double-teams and people holding her,” Guevara said. “I’ve seen more patience and tolerance that comes with experience. She has more of a fire in her belly because she wants that single-game record.”

Junior forward Tinara Moore, who is right behind Frost in rebounds on the team (132), said the progression from year one to year two has helped Frost in many ways.

“(Frost) is definitely more aggressive. I see it more frequently now and she is becoming more consistent with that,” Moore said. “It’s good to see because everyone progresses that sophomore season, and she did a really great job of it this summer and it’s great to see her do good in multiple ways this season.”