Saluting Guevara: Players discuss reaching milestone, coach's impact

Surprised, touched and overwhelmed — these are the emotions Central Michigan women's basketball coach Sue Guevara used to describe how she felt after CMU presented her with a video presentation in honor of her becoming the winningest coach in program history. 

Guevara surpassed Donita Davenport for the most wins in program history on Wednesday with 172. The Chippewas then defeated Toledo Saturday, pushing her win total to 173 victories in 10 years with the team.

The video presentation featured Michigan State men's basketball coach Tom Izzo, former player Crystal Bradford and Guevara's father congratulating her on the achievement.

“All of those people that were on (the video) have really played a part in my coaching career,” Guevara said. “It really meant a lot to me.”

Instead of focusing on the achievement, Guevara was more focused on the rest of the season.

“We have a lot of tough games ahead of us, and I would love to see another crowd like this on Wednesday when we play Northern Illinois,” Guevara said to the crowd. “I couldn't be more thankful. There is nowhere I’d rather be than here.”

Guevara also praised Davenport for her accomplishments.

“I always did admire Donita (Davenport) when I wasn't here yet. She did a phenomenal job in her time here,” Guevara said. “To be honest, I had no idea I was even near that record. I’m focused on winning down the remaining stretch of tough games we have.”

Junior guard Cassie Breen said it has been an honor playing for Guevara during her career with the Chippewas.

“Coming here was probably the best decision that I have made,” Breen said. “It’s been a blessing to play under (Guevara) and learn from her tendencies, as I want to be a coach one day."

Breen added Guevara's personality is what separates her from other coaches. 

“She talks to you and makes you feel like you can do anything," she said. "When we get into slumps like we did (Saturday) in the second quarter, I think it shows our resilience because of her coaching.”

For senior forward Jewel Cotton, who is now in her fifth season under Guevara, it’s all been a learning experience she said she couldn't have gotten anywhere else. 

“I’ve grown up here, and it has come under Coach G’s (Guevara) discipline — and a lot of it," Cotton said. "I feel like if I would have gone anywhere else, I wouldn't have gotten the experience I’ve gotten here.

“With coach G being so genuine, and just a great person, still stay in touch with coach after they leave here, because this isn't something you find every day.”

CMU (20-6, 12-2 Mid-American Conference) is on a six-game win streak and is in first place in the MAC West Division.

Guevara said she knows the road ahead isn't any easier, and the final four games in the regular season will get them ready for the MAC Tournament. 

“We have a tough road ahead of us with Northern (Illinois) coming in and Ball State,” she said. “This month of February will have us battle tested for March. The next game is the biggest game we will play. It’s a championship game — that’s the mindset that we go into (each game with), and our players have done a great job running the game plan and staying mentally tough, so give them credit for that.”