Women's basketball faces Eastern Michigan on the road

Coming off of a 64-59 win at McGuirk Arena against the Mid-American Conference East Division leading Ohio, the Central Michigan Women’s basketball team will be back in action on the road Saturday.

CMU (15-6 overall, 7-2 MAC) is just 2-5 in road games this season and will head to Ypsilanti to take on Eastern Michigan (6-15, 1-8).

While the Chippewas do have the better overall record, Head Coach Sue Guevara said it is never easy to win on the road in the MAC.

“Obviously, in this league it is hard to win on the road. We’d be the first to tell you that,” she said. “It really is about how we mentally prepare because every game is like a championship game and you have to get yourself in the mindset. We’re going to Cleveland, Cleveland is on the road, so you have to be ready.”

While sophomore guard Presley Hudson still leads the team in scoring at 18.3 points per game, junior forward Tinara Moore has led the team in scoring during the past four games.

In Moore’s most recent outing she scored 18 points, all of which came in the second half. Moore said she knows she needs to be involved in the offense the entire game.

“I knew that after the first half I needed to get involved more with the offense because my scoring is a big part of what helps us go,” she said. “I need to keep helping the team in every way I can by staying out of foul trouble so I can be effective on offense.”

While the Eagles only have one conference win this season, they do have two players who score quite frequently.

Junior guard Sasha Daily leads the Eagles in scoring at 16.9 points per game. Senior guard Phyllis Webb averages 14.1 points and leads the team in rebounds with 8.5 per game.

Along with Hudson, three CMU starters are also averaging double figures in scoring — Moore (15), junior guard Cassie Breen (12.3), and senior forward Jewel Cotton (11.7).

CMU is shooting 43.3 percent from the field while the Eagles are shooting just under 36 percent. From 3-point range, CMU is shooting 35.5 percent while EMU comes in at just 26.4 percent.

The Eagles average 41.7 rebounds per game while the Chippewas only average 39.3 per game and both teams are averaging just under 15 turnovers per game.

Start time will be at 2 p.m. from the Convocation Center. The Chippewas come into the game just a half game back from second place Ball State in the MAC West Division.