Rayson sets CMU career 3-point record

Senior guard Braylon Rayson, left, shoots the ball during the game against IU Kokomo on Nov 11 at McGuirk Arena.

The records continue to fall for the Central Michigan men's basketball team. 

This time it was senior guard Braylon Rayson reaching a milestone. 

In Tuesday's game against Northern Illinois, Rayson made two threes to become CMU's all-time leader in made 3-pointers, a record previously held by John Simons. 

"(Breaking the record) is cool, I put in the work for it," Rayson said. "I passed a lot of great shooters like John (Simons) and Robbie (Harman)."

Rayson has made 257 3-pointers during his time at CMU. Although he was proud ofthe record, Rayson said he didn't think it would last long. 

"I know that it is probably going to be broken next year by Josh (Kozinski)," Rayson said. "It is good to have it for a year."

Kozinski used a medical redshirt after he was injured during his freshman year. As of today, Kozinski has made 233 3-pointers. 

Head coach Keno Davis had high praise for Rayson following the record-setting performance. 

"It says a lot," Davis said. "(Rayson) was somebody that was under-recruited an undervalued and when he came in it didn't bother him. If anything it made him a better player."

Rayson has scored 20 or more points in 13 of the last 14 Mid-American Conference games.

"He has been a consistent scorer for us," Davis said. "Whether it was the three or getting to the basket. That says something for him to be able to do that. Braylon (Rayson) is going to be one of those guys that is going to have a lot of records," Davis said. "He's going to be up at the top of a lot of them, and rightfully so."

Rayson ranks second in the MAC in scoring with 20.8 behind his teammate, Marcus Keene who averages 29.8 points per game.

In the loss at McGuirk against Ball State, Rayson and Keene combined for 74 points in a game where Rayson scored a career high 34 points. Rayson has reached 30 points twice this season and has scored 20 or more points in 17 games this season. 

Davis said to have a guy like Rayson is the reason that Keene is the highest scorer in the country. Rayson helps spread the floor and doesn't let opposing teams double-team Keene.

The Chippewas are currently on a four-game losing streak after their loss to Northern Illinois on Tuesday. 

"We lost three games that went down to the last minute of the game," Davis said regarding their four-game skid. "When we were 1-4 in the conference we didn't panic, and we are not going to panic now."

The Chippewas sit in fifth place in the MAC West standings with three games remaining in the regular season. They are mathematically our of contention to win the MAC West.

After their last loss against Ball State, Rayson said that he thinks the rest of their games are "must-win".  

CMU takes on Toledo at 6 p.m. Friday in Ohio.