Baseball opens conference play against Miami (OH)

jab_7853
Sophomore Pitcher Pat Leatherman delivers a pitch to a Missouri State batter on Mar. 26 at Theunissen Stadium. Josh Barnhart | Staff Photographer

Following a 13-4 loss against the University of Michigan, the Central Michigan baseball team looks to bounce back when it opens Mid-American Conference play in a three-game series against Miami (Ohio) this weekend in Theunissen Stadium.

Last season, the Chippewas split their 24 conference games winning and losing 12 games each. When CMU faced the Redhawks last season, CMU won three of the five games including one win and one loss in  the 2016 MAC Tournament. 

"Conference (play) is an opportunity to win a title," head coach Steve Jaksa said. "Everything else leading up to that is a way to understand how to play in those games."

The Chippewas sit with a 10-14 record so far this year. They have won two weekend series against Northwestern and Missouri State. 

Central Michigan is the only team in the MAC West Division to not have already started conference play, but they sit in fourth above Ball State and Toledo who are 0-3 in conference play. 

Miami (OH) has yet to start MAC play in the MAC East Division. They have a 11-12 record and are currently riding a five-game losing skid. 

Jaksa described the regular season as preparation for conference play and postseason play. Jaksa is looking for consistent play from his team.

"The understanding of consistency and how hard we need to play to win have to stay there," Jaksa said. "You have to go out there and work hard to play hard. At the end of it, I believe that the results will be in your favor more times than not."

Sophomore right-hander Dazon Cole will be the starting pitcher on Friday's game, then freshman left-hander Tyler Hankins on Saturday, and sophomore right-hander Pat Leatherman on Sunday. 

Hankins has the lowest earned-run average of the three starters, posting a 3.34 ERA with one win and zero losses.

Senior Alex Borglin leads the Chippewas with a .340 batting average. Borglin also leads the team in on base percentage (.440).

Sophomore Daniel Robinson leads the team in runs scored, hits, stolen bases and at-bats. He comes in second behind Borglin in batting average and Jason Sullivan in runs batted in.

If weather cooperates, the Chippewas are scheduled to take on Miami (OH) at 3:05 p.m. on Friday, March 31 in Theunissen Stadium.