Softball claims MAC West Player and Pitcher of the Week honors

While the Central Michigan softball team has been on a roll — winning nine of their last 10 games — they also swept the Mid-American Conference West Player and Pitcher of the week honors.

Sophomore centerfielder Allison Curtis won MAC West Player of the Week, and was a big reason why the Chippewas ended their spring break trip with six consecutive wins. 

Curtis had 11 hits, five runs batted in, and a .579 batting average over the six-game span. The Tucson, Arizona native, recorded three runs on Wednesday in CMU’s 10-2 five inning victory over Butler. 

Then Curtis racked up three hits, which included two triples in the win over Army on Saturday. Finally to end the trip, Curtis had two hits, including a double, and two RBI in a 4-2 win over South Florida. The sophomore co-leads the team with 25 hits, nine RBI, and a .391 batting average. Curtis hit .500 off of 18 hits while scoring 10 runs, adding eight RBI, and totaled three triples.

The MAC West Pitcher of the Week went to the senior pitcher Rachael Knapp. The St. Joseph native led CMU’s rotation by pitching 20.0 innings and striking out 34 batters over five games. This all came with a three wins, a save, a 2.10 earned run average. 

Knapp opened the week with a 7-5 victory over Penn in extra innings, proceeding to strike out seven batters and surrendered three hits in 3.0 innings. 

She led CMU by pitching two complete games (vs. USC Upstate, vs. USF) where the senior struck out 21 batters and gave up 11 hits between the two games. Knapp now ranks first on the team with a 1.85 ERA, five shutouts and a 8-3 record.

The Chippewas (14-7) have a long gap of 11 days with no games. CMU’s next contest will be against Oakland on March 22 at 2 p.m. in Mount Pleasant.