Hansen to miss remainder of softball season with knee injury

Junior outfielder Sara Hansen will miss the remainder of the 2017 season with a knee injury. 

The Central Michigan softball team will have to go the rest of the 2017 season without one of its starting outfielders.

Junior center fielder Sara Hansen will miss the remainder of the season with a knee injury. The timing of when the injury occurred and the extinct of the injury has not been released. 

Hansen started eight games this season before the setback. The Mount Pleasant native had five hits, one RBI and two stolen bases.

The junior led the team in stolen bases last season with 14. She was named MAC Freshman of the Year and named to the All-Mid-American Conference Second Team in 2015. 

Head coach Margo Jonker said losing Hansen won’t be easy for the team moving forward, but they can still use her support off the field.

“She was our starting center fielder and our best base runner, so yeah, it’s a tough loss,” Jonker said. “This happens to teams and no team is only one player. Other players have to step up. We played spring break without her on the field, and she is always with us in spirit.”

The Chippewas will play one game against Oakland at 3 p.m. Wednesday instead of the original double-header that was scheduled due to the weather.