Softball offense ignites, routs Butler 10-2

In Tuesday's game against Penn, head coach Margo Jonker expressed her concern with the majority of the nine hits against the Quakers coming from the top of the order. 

Joker hinted that changes needed to be made.

"The top of order has been doing their job the last two games," she said. "Obviously we've got to make some adjustments."

It worked.

In an impressive show of offensive might, the entire Central Michigan softball lineup saw an at-bat in each of the first two innings giving CMU a large early advantage over Butler.

"I think a lot had has to do with the opposing pitching," Jonker said. "And we came prepared today, mentally I thought, to attack the ball."

By the end of the third inning, the Chippewas poured on a total of 9 runs to lead butler 9-2. 

"We have the sticks if we juse have confidence and relax in the box," Jonker said.

As the fifth inning came to a close the home plate umpire called the game, citing the eight-run rule, giving CMU the 10-2 win. The Chippewas improve to 10-7 on the season.

In her fifth start of the season, junior pitcher Hanna Warren held the Bulldogs to just 2 runs before Chippewa ace senior Rachael Knapp came in to close out the game.

"Warren did a great job," Jonker said. "I only put Knapp in just to give her some experience closing games."

CMU has a one day break in Clearwater before returning to action at the Under Armour Showcase against Fort Wayne.