Softball tops Oakland in home opener, extends win streak to seven

softball_2

Senior infielder Taylor LeWallen , left, senior pitcher Rachael Knapp, middle, and sophomore first baseman Erika Underwood, right, run to the dugout on Mar. 22 at Jonker Stadium.

Rachael Knapp continued her dominant streak as the Central Michigan softball team defeated Oakland, 3-1, in its home opener Wednesday afternoon. 

The senior pitcher recorded a complete game and added 10 strikeouts and took a no-hitter into the seventh inning. 

The Chippewas extended their win streak to seven games and improved to 15-7 overall on the season. CMU has won 14 of its last 15 games.  

Knapp was wheeling and dealing once again, as she struck out eight of the first nine batters. She improved her personal record to 9-3. 

“I was little nervous coming out because of the weather, and the team didn’t seem to have the highest energy,” Knapp said. “But we picked it up quickly, and finished strong.” 

Sophomore first baseman Erika Underwood opened the scoring for CMU in the second inning with a home run over the right field wall.

Head coach Margo Jonker said Underwood's homer helped propel the Chippewas offensively throughout the game. 

“Underwood’s home run was huge to get the team going,” she said. “Kudos to her for really stepping up her game as a first-year starter.” 

The Chippewas added two more runs in the sixth after pinch-hitter junior Sydney Heath started the inning off with a stand-up double. She then scored on an error by Oakland. 

Also, pinch hitting for the Chippewas was redshirt freshman Kaila Fulker. Fulker quickly contributed and doubled to right field driving in CMU's final run of the day. The Chippewas out-hit Oakland 4-3. 

What’s Next

CMU will begin a three-game series against Mid-American Conference contender Bowling Green this weekend at Margo Jonker Stadium. The first game will be Friday at 3:00 p.m. followed up with a doubleheader Saturday starting at 1:00 p.m.