Rapid Reaction: Central Michigan 6, Ohio 2

Chippewas take game one of doubleheader behind four-run 12th inning

baseball_3

Sophomore outfielder Daniel Robinson runs to home with Assistant Coach, number 24, Doug Sanders cheering him home on April 5th at Theunissen Stadium

Central Michigan’s baseball team entered Saturday with a chance to take sole possession of first place in the Mid-American Conference.

In Game 1 of a doubleheader with Ohio, the Chippewas defeated the Bobcats, 6-2, in 12 innings to win its fifth-straight game. Game 2 of the doubleheader starts at approximately 5:20 p.m. in Athens, Ohio.

CMU (15-14, 4-0 MAC) and Ohio (15-13, 3-1) both came in undefeated in MAC play and leading the West and East Divisions, respectively.

Locked in a 2-2 stalemate in the 12th inning, sophomore Jason Sullivan laid down a bunt to bring home freshman Reed Adams and give CMU the lead and first run in eight innings.

Junior Daniel Jipping broke the game open with a 2-RBI double, followed by an RBI-single from sophomore Evan Kratt later in the inning to put the game out of reach.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Dazon Cole (2-4) got the start for CMU and pitched 8 2/3 innings. Cole surrendered only six hits and three walks while striking out two batters.

Senior Alex Borglin started the contest with a lead-off home run to right field. Senior Robert Greenman made it a 2-0 game in the fourth inning with an RBI-double to left field, which scored Kratt.

The Bobcats came back in the bottom of the fourth inning with an RBI-triple by Ty Black, followed by an RBI-double from Rudy Rott in the fifth inning to tie the game.

Freshman left-hander Jake Raether relived Cole in the ninth inning to get the final out with the bases loaded.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Michael Brettell came on in the 10th inning and struck out all three batters he faced before getting out of a bases loaded jam of his own in the 11th. Junior Colton Bradley entered in the 12th inning and finished the game.