Lacrosse hopes to snap losing streak against Old Dominion

jab_9333
Sophomore Midfielder Logan Halvorson passes the ball up field against Furman University on April 2 at the Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. Josh Barnhart | Staff Photographer

Looking to end its four-game losing streak, the Central Michigan lacrosse team will square off against defending Atlantic Sun Champion Old Dominion at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex.

After opening ASUN play 1-1, the Chippewas have dropped their last four games — most recently at Jacksonville.

Central Michigan has played well in both the offensive and defensive ends, but the team has struggled with transition and face-offs the neutral zone.

“It’s just some of those clears and draw plays where we missed an opportunity and let the momentum swing,” said Assistant Coach Mackenzie Lawler.

In its last four games, CMU has lost the draw battle 65-39. The Chippewas had at least four failed clear attempts in each game, compared to maximum of two for their opponents.

Inexperience could be a factor in to CMU’s recent struggles. With only one upperclassman on the team, the Chippewas are still learning what it takes to be winners at the collegiate level.

“For our young program, we need to know how to get a lead and hold onto a lead,” said head coach Sara Tisdale. “It’s almost like we beat ourselves where we get too nervous or too uptight. Overall it’s a message of being on the same page.”

CMU sits in 9th place at 1-5 in the conference (4-9 overall), but have an opportunity to climb the standings on Thursday when they face the No. 7 ranked Monarchs.

“Old Dominion is very well coached," Tisdale said. "They execute really well and have someone new step up every year. They always manage to put together a really great product on the field.”

The message was simple from both coaches on what it would take to knock off the defending champions — to compete.

“Finish the small plays, finish the scouting report and execute the game.” Lawler said.

A win against Old Dominion will be a confidence boost for the Chippewas going forward.

“Our standpoint is we’re 0-0 and were looking to go on a four-game winning streak to finish out,” Tisdale said.